Author Topic: Just introduced water  (Read 2714 times)

Offline Ekta Saxena

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: May 26, 2015, 10:59:43 am »
Hello,

Don't know if this is the place for this post. Just started to offer water to my 5. 5 month old DD. And giving it with a spoon. She's liking it a lot but then only taking 2-3 tsp as more leads to coughing. What is the best way to give water ...is it by bottle or spoon?

Thanks,
Ekta

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: Just introduced water
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 12:02:06 pm »
Personally I wouldnt give too much just yet as milk is more important, but I used to offer a very small amount with meals in a free flow sippy cup but this was more like 7/8 months when solids were more established. Is there any reason your offering the water?

I wouldnt use a bottle I would keep that for milk as when LO gets older you want cups not bottles.
Zoe

Offline Ekta Saxena

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 12:46:20 pm »
Thanks Zoe for your prompt reply. We are currently facing temps of 44-45 degrees. Its horrible summer time here. Also since she has already started on solids, very little banana to begin with thought of introducing her to water as well. Otherwise her stools are becoming very hard.

Ekta

Offline newkidontheblock

• Showing Appreciation 42
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 14:46:35 pm »
Are you breastfeeding/offering expressed milk in a bottle, Ekta? If so, then she is getting all the water she needs. I would think the same would hold for formula also.  I also started with water due to the heat but like Zoe, it was much later. Regarding the hard poos, maybe you would need to observe the solids you are giving her to see which is causing it. Papaya is great for loosening the poo ;D Make sure it doesn't 'fill her up' and lead to her taking less milk.

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 14:57:35 pm »
Agree with above. If you're able, up the milk offerings and try to stay cooler during the day when you can - maybe some time in a small kiddie pool or the bathtub?

If push comes to shove and you feel you NEED water, I would honestly introduce the TINIEST possible amount in an itty-bitty cup or spoon rather than a sippy.  We used mini-shot-glass-type cups we found in a play dishes set from IKEA and Natalie was able to manipulate them - just a couple drops of water in each so she couldn't make too big a mess at any one time. We'd line up maybe 6 of them each with a few drops for her to practice with - it looked like our baby was doing shots! LOL By the time she was maybe 9-10 months old she was an old hand at drinking from cups already, from practicing that little bit at a time.

Offline Mama2boys

• Showing Appreciation 247
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 16:00:41 pm »
Hi everyone, my guess is Ekta is in North India, and its super dry heat there and temperatures are about 100+F. So a bit of water is very acceptable and almost needed as a child might not always want milk even if it can technically provide all the liquids needed.

Ekta: I used a small tea spoon or a tiny cup as Deb said, and my kids just kind of licked a few licks sort of but 2/3 tsp is more than enough
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 17:30:44 pm »
Ah yes very hot for you all. We had a very hot summer when my DS was born and health visitor said we could give the cooled boiled water but a small amount in between feeds but never too much too put off the milk.

Zoe

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 18:56:58 pm »
UK advice is to offer cool boiled water after feeds or between if they won't settle in warmer weather and our temps don't get that hot! I've always been told it's fine to offer a formula fed baby a few oz extra water a day as they don't get the thirst quenching first part of the feed that breast fed babies do.

My GP also said it was ok to add an extra half oz/oz of water to some bottle feeds (so 6.5-7oz of water with the amount of formula you would put in a 6oz bottle for example) during the day if it was very hot or they were constipated to help get a bit of extra water in them.

We started solids at 5.5/6 months and always offered a free flow sip with an oz or 2 of water in it with their solids, they didn't drink much for the first month or so.

I would check with your own health professionals to see what the advice is in your area.

Laura

Offline Ekta Saxena

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 07:30:28 am »
Thank you. Yes she's taking from spoon and not more than 1 and 1/2 tsp.

However, since starting solids which mashed banana her milk intake has gone down by almost 4oz. Her solid intake is almost 3/4 tsp per day. I am watching her formula intake today and will post her schedule soon.

Thanks again!
Ekta

Offline newkidontheblock

• Showing Appreciation 42
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 07:41:24 am »
Ekta, if solids are leading to a reduction in her milk intake, then stop with solids. Any reason for starting early? I know that doctors in our country advise starting with rice & lentil water at 4 months but that is outdated advice