Author Topic: newborn in crib or bassinet  (Read 846 times)

Offline ridingthetrain

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: May 28, 2015, 03:07:17 am »
I am about to have a baby in a few weeks and I am wondering what is the best.

Putting the baby in a crib in his room with his 18 month old brother, or in the bassinet in my room. (well, I guess the third option would be to put him in a bassinet in his brother's room since we havent transitioned the 18mo old to a toddler bed yet, and only have one crib).

what would be best???

In all of Tracey's books she refers to putting the baby down in the crib. What is the benefit of this? I mean, i dont want to co-sleep. and I def want to do all the things she says because I think it will help our baby sleep so much better from the beginning. I just don't know if its ok to do it in a bassinet or not.

thanks!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: newborn in crib or bassinet
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 07:28:35 am »
I would put baby in the bassinet in your room, preferably right by the bed so you can reach out a hand to settle if and when needed.

The SIDS guidance is to have baby sleep in the same room as you for naps and nights until 6 months old.
I believe the guidance changed after the books were written, I believe Tracy would have reviewed her advice if she was still with us to do so.

I had baby in an amby hammock right by my bed until he was 9 months. I gently sleep trained in the hammock at night (and in a play pen/travel cot in the family room in the day until he was 10 wks).  At 9 months I moved him to his cot. We had a rough couple of days of it during that transition but in the scheme of things it's nothing, just a few days, yk?

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
Re: newborn in crib or bassinet
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 09:37:27 am »
I will have baby in our room for as long as I can bear it, and like Creations I will be using an Amby nature'snest. We won't have a cot/crib until much later - DS went into his at around 8months.

I think really the books are just referring to putting baby down wherever his/her bed normally is, if that makes sense?
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015