Author Topic: bedtime drama  (Read 770 times)

Offline twogirlsmommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • aka Brennasmommy
« on: May 28, 2015, 13:49:46 pm »
So we have officially been without our pacifier for about 2 1/2months.  I expected the crying but not 2 and 1/2 months of crying. She does have a comfort items and she settles for nap fairly well.  Bedtime is and hour to hour and 1/2 nightmare.

Our routine is:

Awake anywhere from 6-7:30 am
Nap: 12:30-2:30 (sometimes she is awake at 2 and sometimes I need to wake her at 2:30)
Bedtime: 7pm

I have tried pushing bedtime a 1/2 hr later and that didn't work and I have tried waking her at 2 instead of 2:30 and that didn't work.  No matter what happens I get close to an hr of bedtime crying.  In the beginning I tried gradually withdrawal but  by the time I made it too the door she was up and crying and I became trapped in the room (which doesn't work as I have dd1 to put to bed also)  I've been doing WIWO because in the beginning she would stand up and throw everything out of the crib b/c she was angry, now she rolls onto her back and just lays there and screams (she's 2 yrs old and a belly sleeper so I KNOW she can roll back over)  When I go in she requests a hug and then lays back down so I can tuck her in.  When I go in I can get any number of requests ie: she can't find bear and duck, she doesn't want bear and duck, she wants the fan on, she wants the fan off, she claims she pooped when she didn't etc.  Bedtime is EXHAUSTING.

On top of these shenanigans we also have NW's some nights that go exactly like bedtime and they can last for up to 2hrs!

She does not do this for nap so I know she can fall asleep independently and when she wakes in the morning she happy to sing to herself for a little while before getting up.

We don't have our two year old molars yet and there is no sign of them.  Last night during the NW I gave her some gas drops as she said her belly hurt and she finally went back to sleep.

Offline Mama2boys

• Showing Appreciation 247
Re: bedtime drama
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 15:59:15 pm »
oh boy, I don't have many ideas but hugs, sounds rough.

what I do with my boys, is I tuck them both in and then sit outside their room and read them a story together and then sing them a couple of songs form between the 2 rooms so they are ok with me not being with anyone child. will that work for you?

I know you took away the pacifier, have you tried replacing it with any other cuddly thing?

9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 16:40:22 pm »
How long did you try cutting the nap back to 2:00 for? Really sounds like a combo of ut and development to me. When she is doing call backs do you engage with her?
Heidi

Offline twogirlsmommy

• Showing Appreciation 30
  • aka Brennasmommy
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 17:45:09 pm »
She has 2 stuffies that she has taken too and a blanket.  I could do the outside room thing but I don't think it would fly with my older one who is a touchy kid.  We tried the nap cut for about 3 weeks and it just never made anything better. If anything she screamed longer :( 

I try not to engage but its hard when she is shrieking at me for something.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 19:27:40 pm »
Really seems developmental then (or teeth - DD1's molars bothered her on and off for 6 months sorry to say!). Any way to separate them temporarily?
Heidi