Author Topic: Weaning the last nf  (Read 4164 times)

Offline Kfro

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
Re: Weaning the last nf
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2015, 18:46:49 pm »
My ds has been taking 9oz bottles for a while so it certainly is possible! Good luck! X

Offline Bella89

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2015, 19:33:38 pm »
I hear some LO eat much more solids. I think I was just worried about overdosing formula. It says 3x7oz. I know Tracy doesnt believe in that though.
Well, he is not draining them. He leaves like a spoon every time. I will add 1 oz though, because maybe he just doesnt want to eat what is left in the teat.
Sometimes I was pouring half of the milk down the drain so I was trying to make smaller portions, but I dropped the idea really quick. Even when he was hungry didnt eat when empty bottle stopped his eating and I made second portion.
Thank you! I will let you know in a few days:)

Offline Bella89

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2015, 19:46:36 pm »
So we're expecting second tooth any time now, and DS ate 4oz during NF anyways. He took very little first half of the day also:/ I really think it's teething spoiling his appetite, but my intuition tells me its that NF as well:(

Offline Kfro

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2015, 11:14:06 am »
Teething definitely affects appetite here. More often it's the solids that suffer but it has affected his milk intake too x

Offline Bella89

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2015, 10:21:48 am »
Ok, so this is our outcome for now:
- 2 teeth and third coming now :)
- Night 1 - 6oz ->5oz
- Night 2 - 5oz
- Night 3 - 5oz
- Night 4 - 5oz, 5 dozes -> 5oz/4dozes
- Night 5 - 5oz/4doz
- Night 6 - slept through the night for the first time ever!!! he woke up 3 times but just needed to be put back down. He learned to stand up recently.
- Night 7 - 5oz/4doz -> 5oz/3doz
- Night 8 - 5oz/3doz -> ate only 2 oz maybe, I think I misunderstood teething pain with hunger :/
 As soon as I started watering down formula he started eating more. He now takes 8ozx3 and 6oz at BT. I know he can eat more, but I need to buy bigger bottle today :)
I think we can call it a small success, right :)?

By the way, we went to our pediatrician on Friday, and I asked him about formula intake at 8,5 months. He said my DS should NOT have formula anymore and that I should start to replace it with grown up food!!!!!!!!!! He started throwing some research and information at me I was in such a shock I don't remember half of it:/ OMG my DS has 2 teeth for the love of mommy :) What do you think?

Offline Kfro

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2015, 12:04:50 pm »
Milk should be the main source of nutrition for the first year so he should definitely still be having some formula. We were still on 4 day bottles at 8 months and didn't go down to three until ten months but I know some do reduce at an earlier age.

Sounds like you are doing great! Xx

Offline Bella89

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2015, 08:44:02 am »
So I had to increase water intake, because it was difficult to settle him back to sleep.
We now do 6oz of water and 2 dozes of formula instead of 6 at 2 am.
That lets him sleep till 6.45 and he eats only 6 oz of formula in the morning. Sometimes even 5:/It makes me think he is not hungry, because he would wake sooner if this would be real hunger, right?
I do have a question, because It worries me a little. What happens if we get to water only? I think he didn't mind the watery taste of formula. Could he be thirsty? On that topic, is giving water to drink at night is ok?

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2015, 12:13:11 pm »
So I had to increase water intake, because it was difficult to settle him back to sleep.

I do have a question, because It worries me a little. What happens if we get to water only? I think he didn't mind the watery taste of formula. Could he be thirsty? On that topic, is giving water to drink at night is ok?

Ok, so what you have unfortunately done is to swap one prop for another. That's why I think it's better to reduce the amount given rather than water down as he's still now getting a full belly of liquid.

I would reduce the amount of water you offer him slowly by giving an oz less every few nights. You will find it hard to settle him as the amount reduces so you need to expect that and find another way to sooth him. We used to sit on the floor next to the cot and part the mattress and just use a sleepy phrase. There's nothing wrong with a drink of water at night, but if they need a full drink to get back to sleep t's a prop, and that maybe why he takes less at wake up. I don' think he's going to learn to sleep through for as long as you keep giving the bottle during the night.

Laura

Offline Bella89

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2015, 19:03:50 pm »
Thank you!
When he is thirsty he drinks no more than 2 oz of water, that's a fact.
I will start reducing water again. I think I just feel like I am not feeding a hungry baby. But I do know he is not hungry if he is getting little formula and sleeps till 7:/
He is teething as well, I gave him some ibuprofen and will see if that will help his nerves as well.
I will let you guys know:)

Offline Bella89

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2015, 16:42:03 pm »
It worked:) We've been NF free for 3 nights now:)When I decreased the amount to 4oz he woke up once and then he slept through the night!!
Thank you Ladies for the amazing advice given:)

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2015, 18:23:21 pm »
Yeah - great news ;D Well done!

Laura