Author Topic: Rolling over while asleep?  (Read 989 times)

Offline J JACK

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Rolling over while asleep?
« on: June 01, 2015, 19:47:05 pm »
Hi my LO 6 months old and is now rolling on his side and sometimes on his tummy in the middle of his sleep. He’s a short napper and were trying to lengthen his naps, on one of his naps he rolled over on his tummy in the middle of his nap this time I decided to leave him and he slept the longest he has ever slept since he was a new newborn. So is this safe or should I be rolling him back to his back?   

Offline LovelyLilyandJack

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 44
  • Formerly lovelylily
Re: Rolling over while asleep?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 20:46:41 pm »
I don't know what the official advice is, but once my two started rolling I just left them to it.  Turned out they were both tummy sleepers in fact, as soon as they could get onto them!  I'm pretty sure that as long as they can roll themselves as you;'re not putting them down on their tummy without them being able to move, they're safe.  In fact, I just found this article which may help:

http://www.babycenter.com/404_should-i-worry-if-my-baby-rolls-over-onto-his-tummy-while-as_3571.bc

Offline J JACK

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 20:54:49 pm »
Ok thank you. He does seem more comfortable that way, all last night he was turning to his side and I kept moving him back he was freaking me out I worry when he turns on his side at night because his cot upstairs is smaller and if he was to roll over n tummy he will probably hit the side of the cot.

Offline Kellyjs

• Showing Appreciation 80
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 06:30:11 am »
Mine did this too, but at 14wks old!!!! Scared the life out of me. Mind you, for us it coincided with nap refusal for around a week so pd for naps was impossible. BT however, was a whole different ball game. I had to keep going in at regular intervals during the night to roll her back over  ::). Thinking back, I must have annoyed the poor little love. I too don't know exactly what the recommendations are, but IMO as long as they can do it themselves, I suppose you have to leave them to it. Mine too slept a lot better on her side or tummy.

They won't hurt themselves rolling into the side of the cot as they don't do it with much force iykwim. I think this is the time people think it's a good idea to install cot bumpers but they are a big SIDS risk. I'd much prefer DD making herself jump rolling into the side than grabbing at cot bumpers x

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 08:08:11 am »
The SIDS guidance is to put baby to sleep in a cot on their back in your own room for the first 6 months.
I believe once they are 6 months the risk reduces significantly and this is when rolling, a suitable lovie, and moving into their own bedroom fare considered safer.

Yeah I would definitely not have cot bumpers or anything in the cot where baby could roll into and not be able to get enough air, it isn't just the suffocation factor of having their face buried into something but also lack of air flow.

Offline J JACK

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 08:40:57 am »
Thank you I feel a bit better its still a bit freaky though. I definitely won't be using cot bumpers or anything of the sort aswell.

Offline J JACK

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 22:40:54 pm »
Just another question my lo rolled on to tummy this morning for his first nap with his head slightly turned to the mattress im worried about him re-breathing his carbon dioxide do I nerd to worry at this age?

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 08:34:01 am »
If you are worried I would turn him.
There may be great airflow into the room or there may not be, I don't think any of us can really answer that other than do what you feel comfortable with.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2015, 09:58:45 am »
The official advice is to place them on their backs to sleep and to turn them back onto their back if they roll over but only until they can roll tummy to back and back to tummy again. Once they can roll both ways it is fine to leave them on their side or tummy if they have rolled there themselves. There are some good links in the following FAQ.

Tummy Sleeping

Personally if I knew I had a clean, breathable mattress with no waterproof/plastic sheet and I could see at least one nostril clear I would feel comfortable leaving them with their face towards the mattress after 6mo but as pp says you have to do what you feel comfortable with.

Once mine could roll over themselves at 6mo and 8mo respectively they both chose to sleep on their side or front even though I continued to place them on their backs until they were old enough to climb into their own beds.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011