Author Topic: How to Start  (Read 868 times)

Offline Slpst5

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 02, 2015, 21:01:54 pm »
My LO will be 4 weeks old Thursday. How should I go about starting EASY? He already is on a feeding schedule of every 3 hours. How long is A at this point?

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: How to Start
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 23:43:05 pm »
Hi, welcome :)

At this age, really A time is only going to fit a feed and nappy change. The main thing at this point is simply to have the order EAS happening. That sets up some predictability for LO and will set you in good stead for when A times become a bit more relevant.

At some point before 3 months, LO will 'wake up' from that sleepy newborn phase (some like my DS never really have them) and they will slowing increase A time to around 1.5hr by 3 months and 2hr by 4 months. If you increase gradually by watching the clock to see when sleep cues are likely (watch the LO from about 10min before you'd expect cues) then put LO down for a nap when you see the cues, the increase could happen a bit more gently and naturally.

Congratulations on your new baby, best wishes, we're always here to help out if you need it :)

Offline Slpst5

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 17:50:34 pm »
I have over active letdown and a very fast flow of milk. DS is feeding in about 15 minutes total. Should I extend A time to allow for this?

Thanks

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: How to Start
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 22:59:45 pm »
Yeah, you may find you have some time to do something with him for a few minutes but watch for cues because he may manage 30-45min, may be more like an hour. Generally this young, he's likely to start rooting again as his tired sign...