Author Topic: Waking in the Night from Being in an Uncomfortable Position  (Read 821 times)

Offline ladymugg

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Hi there.  Miss 14mo is usually a great night sleeper and typically after we sneak in to re-tuck her in when my hubby and I go to bed, usually stays put in a "normal" sleeping position, centered in her cot.

The last week or so she has woken at least once a night with an upset/scared cry due to wedging herself in the corner of the cot.  Looks uncomfortable to me - her head is around the top corner and her body against the head of the cot.

She goes back to sleep easily after we reposition her but sometimes this happens twice a night.

Any ideas about how to prevent this? She long outgrew her safety sleep cot wrap so not looking to re-introduce that.  She sleeps in a sleep sack/bag so even if she moves around is warm. Would prefer to not spent money if possible :)

A friend claims introducing a cot pillow might help but I'm not sure.  I don't think babies need a pillow in their cot until maybe just before they transition to a single bed but maybe I'm wrong.

Mum to DD born April 2014 and DS born April 2016.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Waking in the Night from Being in an Uncomfortable Position
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 04:27:01 am »
I'm not sure there is much you can do...I found DD3 sleeping sitting up this morning! If she is able to wedge herself in the corner eventually she will work out how to move back without needing your help.
Heidi

Offline Kellyjs

• Showing Appreciation 80
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 05:34:34 am »
Argh, we still have this occasionally now, so not much advice here either I'm afraid. I just go in, reposition, whisper all is ok and go back to bed. I think it's worse when she's in a deep sleep as it freaks her out a little.

We introduced a cot pillow around 16-17mo I think. Didn't make much of a difference as she didn't sleep on it for a couple of months. Hth x

Heidi - that actually made me lol! Sleeping sitting up, hee hee hee x

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 05:42:37 am »
It was so funny...almost like she woke and sat up to find a soother and just didn't lay back down! Must have been comfy though because she was miffed that I woke her. She doesn't have a pillow yet and I don't remember the older two having one until they were in a BGB.
Heidi

Offline Emami

• Showing Appreciation 41
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 05:52:01 am »
Lol Heidi!

My DD1 used to get into crazy positions too, but did actually stop when I gave her a pillow.  I can't remember how old she was or what the recommended age is for introducing one though. But where she used to end up sideways, upside down, etc, with the pillow she finally stayed with her head at the head end. Now she's in a bed I find her all over the place again but it doesn't matter as there are no bars to get wedged on, she doesn't wake herself up
Emma

Offline ladymugg

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 01:40:15 am »
Thanks team!  Will have to see how this one goes, hopefully not that much longer. Appreciate your advice :) good to know its not just us!
Mum to DD born April 2014 and DS born April 2016.

Offline Kellyjs

• Showing Appreciation 80
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2015, 06:23:36 am »
You're welcome.. Sometimes we can't change things to help, but it's always nice to know others have either btdt or are in the same boat!  ;D