Author Topic: Noisy, Restless Sleep  (Read 894 times)

Offline Slpst5

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 04, 2015, 12:26:27 pm »
My DS is 4 weeks old. We have been following a loose EASY schedule for about a week.

He actively fights the swaddle unless he is sleeping or winding down. He seems to want to get to his hands. I know he doesn't have the control to do this and swaddling is best. Did anyone have a baby who needed arms/hands unswaddled or is this a definite mistake. I was considering a sleep sack with arms free.

When I put him down half asleep he typically does fall asleep on his own but then he wakes up often and is very noisy. He will typically go back to sleep independently when he wakes up but he wakes up at least 10 times during a 1 1/2-2 hour nap. Is this normal? I don't want him to be overtired because he isn't sleeping well. My tendency is to run in and pick him up/soothe him but I have a feeling this is not the right move.

TIA

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Noisy, Restless Sleep
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 18:23:21 pm »
I never swaddled my two ;) it's not compulsory!  Many people find it really helps their LOs though, I won't take away from that, but I found we could get perfectly good sleep without.  So it's your call :)

I would leave him to it unless he is crying for you, sounds like he is developing some good sleep skills already :D. Waking up so frequently makes me wonder about discomfort though - any signs of reflux?  Problems with gas?  How are poops?  Breast or bottle fed?

Offline Slpst5

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 21:03:29 pm »
No signs of reflux...has only spit up a handful of times ever. He is exclusively breastfed. He has only got 2 bottles ever so far. His poops are normal...yellow, seedy and he poops regularly usually after almost every feed. I do think he has gas issues. I have an overactive letdown and my milk tends to flow very quickly. I am feeding twice on each side before offering the other breast and this seems to help. Any other thoughts on how to help the gas?

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: Noisy, Restless Sleep
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 22:26:03 pm »
Lying back to feed can help - gravity slows the flow a bit... Burping LO well after a feed helps too, its a matter of figuring out the best way for your LO. Rubbing the back rather than patting helped more here, and a bit of tummy pressure with the heal of your hand/shoulder can help (not too much or he will likely vomit on you).

I went back and forth with swaddling, DS didn't need it at some times, then did at others until I ditched it when he started rolling. I am a bit fuzzy on the details but I think I swaddled in the day and not at night or vice versa for a while too. If he can sleep fine without, its not a drama to not swaddle - then you don't have to wean it :)