Author Topic: 45 minute intruder cat naps  (Read 1022 times)

Offline Westsmom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 07, 2015, 14:30:18 pm »
My little one is 13 weeks old and has consistently been a cat napper since about 4 weeks old except for during his growth spurts when he seems to be able to transition into his daytime cycles with very minimal whinning. When he wakes from his naps he screams and  he is obviously still tired and irritable. There are even times when I am not sure if he is screaming in his sleep. I have tried to calm him in his crib but it just seems to infuriate him. If I pick him up and calm him down i can put him back down  dowsy /awake and he will fall asleep and whine into the next cycle within minutes. Our nap routine is a story and he is rocked until he is relaxed but still awake. Then I place him in his crib and he closes his eyes and falls asleep. Sometimes he will lement a little but no more than 2-3 minutes. My question is: will he eventually make it into his cycles on his own as he does at night? And am I creating a bad habit by removing him from his crib to calm him?
We do a 3 hour EASY as he needs to eat every 3 hours during the day. Also his wake times very between 1.5-2 hr usually more 1.5 .

Offline anna*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: 45 minute intruder cat naps
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 09:19:05 am »
Hi hun. 45 mins naps are largely developmental and most babies do grow into longer naps. This is prime age for it. If you can transition him with a cuddle, I would stick with that for now. The other thing you could do is go into his bedroom before he wakes, and start to gently pat or stroke him before he wakes, and try to ease him through the transition that way so he doesn't fully wake up.

Offline Westsmom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 12:41:07 pm »

Offline Steph and Floss

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 09:17:06 am »
I'm afraid I have no words of wisdom but wanted to say you're not alone. My 13 week old day naps have been awful for the last few weeks, 30-45 mins max. I think it's a combo of me getting her down too early for the first nap as I'd get her down as soon as she looked sleepy (but ive now been told it's probably under tired, then she wakes too soon causing overtiredness to build throughout the day!) so I'm trying to extend her wake time to 1hr 20 / 30 and I'm attempting wake to sleep / patting through a sleep cycle to try and get a full nap. Didn't work for her first nap this morning but she did settle down for it better than she has been lately! X