Author Topic: Need quick advice on how to handle first nap refusal day  (Read 692 times)

Offline BstnMelody

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Need quick advice on how to handle first nap refusal day
« on: June 08, 2015, 14:11:40 pm »
Hi wise BWs!

DD is 2yo 1 mo, and I knew that dropping the nap was going to come soon, so no surprises, I guess I just thought it would be different. I expected DD to shorten her nap on her own. But really what has happened is she still takes a 2-2.5 hour nap, and then bedtime has been getting later and later. I tried shortening her nap, but she's a cranky mess, so I had decided to just let her bedtime get later until I thought it was unreasonable, or she started EW.

So her schedule has looked like this:
WU 6:30/7
Nap 2/2:15 - 4/4:30
BT 8:30/9

So overall she's been getting about 12 hours of sleep per 24 hours.

And today she has skipped her nap. She's be in her room playing for the last 1hr 20minutes (it's 3:10pm right now).

So my two questions that I'd love quick feedback on...
1 - How long should I leave her in there before taking her out and accepting that there is no nap?
2 - What time should I put her to bed given the no nap?

Thank you!!
Robin mt S...who is throwing me for a loop.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: Need quick advice on how to handle first nap refusal day
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 14:40:20 pm »
Hi, it could just be a blip as shes just turned 2, birthday developmental leaps etc but could be time to cut nap shorter too.
If she's not napping and you want her too then I'd get her out her room and go for a drive or walk to force a CN, if not very early BT tonight 5.30pm x
Zoe

Offline BstnMelody

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 15:33:14 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion!

DD is LSN, so I didn't want to make bedtime too much earlier. She was actually fine the entire day. We hit crazytown around 7pm, so that's when I put her to bed. She didn't fall asleep until 7:40 because she was so wired, and then we had two OT wakings after 45 minutes and 1.5 hours. Then she was down for the night with no NW. Yesterday she was very tired, but I couldn't put her down for her nap early due to our schedule, so she went down at 1:50pm and slept until 4:20! Same thing today. In fact, she's been sleeping for 2hr 40min now (although I suspect she woke up around 6am, so that might have something to do with it).

I've tried cutting the nap shorter, but she's such a cranky mess that I really can't bring myself to do it. It just means a miserable afternoon for me, unless we go out right away to some interesting activity, which I just don't always have the energy for. I've only managed to try capping her nap for 2 days before giving up. I guess I could try again. How long do you think it would take her to get used to it? Perhaps I can plan for reinforcements that week. ;-)

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 17:23:17 pm »
If you don't want to cap the nap then you can stick with the later BT. My DS was ASN and a 2 hour nap was max at this age, once we started getting late BT and 9.5/10 hr nights we started cutting it to 1.5 hrs as he was getting cranky from not enough night sleep.

I'm not sure they get used to nap capping, mine was awful for about 30 mins after getting woken but we'd just have cuddles, story and a snack.

It's really up to you, if your happy with things as they are then there is no need to change...if it is a NND most LO at this age would get OT build up on more than a 11.5-12 hour day so EBT might just stop the NW or EW xx
Zoe