Author Topic: Help with weaning schedule for 7 month old please!!!!  (Read 2044 times)

Offline Asha G

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Help with weaning schedule for 7 month old please!!!!
« on: June 09, 2015, 17:19:11 pm »
Hi there I started weaning my lo at 6 months and started her 2nd meal at breakfast a week ago but not sure how and when to add the 3 rd meal... This is her routine currently

E 7/730am 7/8 ounces formula
E 8/830am banana/ baby porridge
S 10-12pm
E 12pm 6/7 ounces formula
E 1pm veggie purée
S 3pm -430/5pm
E 5pm 5 ounces formula
E 730pm 6-8 ounces formula
Bedtime 730/8pm

So she is eating quite well now and will continue with 2 meals for another week or 2 but then want to introduce  her 3rd meal at dinner time but not sure how to fit this in as her awake time before going to sleep for the night has 2 milk feeds already so then how can I give her so,ids too? Can I reduce her milk feeds? I thought we weren't supposed to drop any feeds yet....
Any help and advice is much appreciated!!!!!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Help with weaning schedule for 7 month old please!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 17:58:04 pm »
I wouldn't drop any milk feeds yet, it's a bit early.  You may see (a few months from now) that she shows less interest in one or more milk feeds and that would be the time to look at the milk routine. For now you want all milk feeds to continue at your regular times and amounts.

I would think you can fit in a small solids dinner at around 5.30/6pm before beginning your BT routine.  Many LOs don't eat so much in the evening and I'm sure you know there is no rush (many don't take an evening meal until 8 months or so), maybe use that dinner solids as a finger food time rather than purees so she can try some different textures.  It's advised now to begin finger foods around 6 months or shortly after even if you take the traditional weaning route.  It's also fine to introduce eggs, meat, fish (so long as there is no family history of allergy) which you may prefer to do earlier in the day so any negative response can be seen before BT. I would stick to known foods for the evening meal for now.

Your routine looks great :)  Two lovely naps and milk and solids meals all nicely spaced :)

Offline Asha G

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 07:36:11 am »
Thank you so much for replying so quickly!
Yes that's what I thought... Too early to drop any feeds
But should I reduce the feeds at all? So that she is more hunt for the solids? I know they need the minimum of 20 ounces/500 mils and the moment she is getting about 26/28 ounces .... Or should I just keep the same amounts...?
That's a great day idea I have been wanting to introduce finger foods but wasn't sure when and how to fit it in... I was a bit worried that if I try after her 5pm feed she wouldn't be very hungry and then She also may not take as much milk at her last bedtime feed...?
Thanks for looking at my routine too,... I wasn't sure if her naps were too long for this age as I was looking at average day sleeps on the forum and it said 1 hour 30 mins twice a day for naps but she seems to want to sleep most days for the 2 hours... ?
Thanks again for all your help!

Offline creations

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 08:24:38 am »
No I wouldn't reduce her milk at all, it's still her primary source of food and where she is getting the vast majority of calories and nutrients, the solid food is secondary at this stage and won't give her as much of what she needs until she's several months older.

I know there is not much time between your two last milk feeds but she doesn't need to have too much in the way of solids in there.  Giving solids around 5.30 will still give her a couple of hours before her BT feed which is fine.  Just don't panic if she doesn't take much in the way of finger foods or any solids in that last meal.  You might want to offer tastes she has had before so for example if she's had puree sweet potato maybe try a steamed sweat potato wedge or an oven baked wedge (which is drier on the outside and easier to pick up). Finger foods should be about the size of an adult finger to give her plenty of space to grip in a fist and have a little bit poking out the top to put in her mouth.
There's no harm in introducing finger foods at the other meals too, either alongside her puree or instead of.

Your routine is lovely - many would give an arm to have that!  No need to change nap length until there are signs that you need a tweak. If nights become very disturbed or there is bed time resistance or earlier waking in the morning then I'd post on EASY or naps board if you need support with a tweak. Otherwise just enjoy that Y time you are getting!
:)

Offline Asha G

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 19:12:55 pm »
Thank you !! So great to have some reassurance !!!
I will definitely start with some finger foods with the veggies she has already had as purée and see how she goes!
Will keep an eye on her nap times and she she wakes up in the morning as there have been a few instances of early waking and sometimes shorter naps but if it becomes more frequent will post I'm the naps board as you've suggested!!
Thank you again!!!!

Offline creations

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 20:30:44 pm »
You're very welcome :)