Author Topic: DD2 not putting on weight, help!  (Read 3152 times)

Offline mil0girl

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 10, 2015, 08:24:38 am »
Hello mummies!

I'm a working mum of DD1 (25 months) and DD2 (4.5 months), currently on maternity leave. I wasn't sure where to post this! I'm worried about DD2's weight (or rather lack of it!). Based on the breastfed babies growth chart, she's falling off her percentile line and I'm not sure what to do. DD2 was 3.4kgs when born, currently at 4.5 months she is only 5.6kgs. She is generally a very contented angel baby, I've followed the EASY since birth and she is exclusively breastfed. I follow her cues and offer her the breast every 3-3.5 hours at the moment (sometimes on bad nap days, every 2 .5 hours). She usually naps relatively well (good days, 3 good naps of 1.5-2 hours each, bad days: some broken naps but at least 1 long nap), at night she wakes up 2-3 times and I give her the breast each time she wakes.

She has been diagnosed with food allergies, just like my DD1 (only difference is my DD1 had no problems with weight) so currently I'm avoiding dairy, egg, most nuts and soya. Her eczeme is mild to moderate depending on what I've eaten and initially when I was having dairy and egg, her reflux was quite severe. She would throw up partially digested milk about an hour after her feeds. I've been to see the paed allergist and nutritionist and both are also worried about DD2's weight and the nutritionist has suggested I think about the following:
1. topping up DD2's feeds with hypoallergenic formula
2. early weaning

Has anyone had experience with this?

I do not know what to do but I've thought of the following questions:
1. Should I start expressing and offering DD2 the bottle?
2. Should I offer the breast every 2 hours instead of every 3 hours?
3. What else can I do to help her gain weight?
4. Does this mean my milk is lacking in nutrition? The nutritionist said it might be that as I'm eliminating so many things from my diet. I think I'm eating pretty healthily and the moment but I don't know...

Really appreciate any feedback!

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: DD2 not putting on weight, help!
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 20:13:40 pm »
Just running out the door so will reply properly tonight but frankly it would take a lot more than an elimination diet to affect the quality of your milk. I was avoiding dairy, soy, eggs and gluten for a while with DD3 with no issues. I think it is generally a worry if they fall 2 centile lines?
Heidi

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 08:20:00 am »
If she has food allergies then the lack of weight gain is more likely linked to inflammation in her bowel making it difficult for her to absorb the nutrients from her milk, rather than an issue with milk quality :-* when you say you are avoiding dairy does that include all hidden dairy too?  How far off her birth centile is she?

Personally I wouldn't have thought expressing and offering that would make much difference. If she is breastfeeding well every 3h or so, she will be taking as much as she wants to take.  I would have thought she'd probably just refuse more? Same potentially with hypoallergenic formula top ups?

Is she medicated for reflux?

Offline Mama2boys

• Showing Appreciation 247
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 16:26:06 pm »
also, is the baby spiking down in weight gain or is it consistent but just not on the percentile charts?

My younger son is super tiny and like3rd percentile in weight, but then I know its genes as I am tiny as well and he has always been consistent in his curve.

I ebf him till 15 months as he was milk protein intolerant... and our paed says not to worry unless they fall of THEIR curve...

9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 18:33:29 pm »
Some babies have periods of not gaining which are followed by sudden growth spurts. There's one around 4 mos.  Do you think you've had that? My LO1 was a pretty slim baby but really upped his intake at 4-5 mos mark.

Are you offering both breasts at each feed?  If you're offering just one, then an easy way to up her consumption (if she will take it, that is) is to offer the second breast and see if she takes it.  At this age, I think you're likely to have 'better' feeds by having them at the intervals you have, iyswim. 3/3.5 hourly will mean she will really fill her tummy and get all that fatty hind milk.

I personally think the nutritionist is talking through his/her hat :) and don't think you need to be concerned about milk 'quality' (why do people say these things to concerned mamas?!).  If you think you need to, you can try to boost your diet by including good fats and lean proteins. 

Bottom line: if baby is happy in herself, sleeping well, doing wet and dirty nappies, she is doing fine.  If she were hungry, you would know all about it!
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline clazzat

• Showing Appreciation 286
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 19:36:16 pm »
How do you feel about how she is?  Do you think she is happy and doing what you expect?  That is a really good indicator of how well she is feeding - the percentiles are important but not the be-all-and-end-all.  My ds was on the 92nd percentile when he was born and the 9th by 5 months - ebf, reflux, CPI, just like yours.  I wasn't hugely worried but took him to the HV just in case, and I was so lucky to get one who looked at him and said that there was nothing to worry about as he was happy and developing the way he was supposed to. I was asked to bring him for weighing every week, but other than that I didn't change a single thing.  He is now a very happy (and pretty sturdy!) 4yo.

If *you* are happy with her development then I would carry on with what you are doing rather than getting too stressed about the numbers.  I have a theory (totally unsupported by any science! :P) that the birth weight is not the best indicator of where they are supposed to be, and that for some babies they have a high birth weight and then settle to their natural curve in the first few months.  If weight gain is consistent, even if not exactly according to their curve, then there is likely to be nothing to worry about.

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2015, 19:41:46 pm »
I agree ^^^
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline mil0girl

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2015, 17:18:06 pm »
Thanks ladies, really appreciated all the replies. Just wanted to post an update.

So DD2 is now 8 months old and taking in solids. She's dropped from between the 25th and 50th centile to the 9th centile now but her length has stayed just below the 50th centile. She's seen an allergist, a dermatologist, a nutritionist and the GP. I've of course got mixed feedback from all of these professionals. Some say not to worry, others suggest trying to up her solids and milk intake.

I'm still avoiding dairy, egg and nuts but have reintroduced soya back into my diet. Her rashes are only concentrated around her mouth area (partially due to food and saliva?). Her reflux was not medicated and has stopped since she was about 3.5 months old. She's a pretty happy and contented baby on the babywhisperer routine so I've decided to not worry and enjoy her as much as possible!