Author Topic: Help! Good sleeper gone bad...  (Read 1166 times)

Offline Kristin.S

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 12, 2015, 03:36:57 am »
Hi,
My son is 14months old and has been a good sleeper, ASN. The last 2 days have been a nightmare, especially today, and Im not sure he right way to handle it...your guidance is appreciated!!!

Typical EAS:
Wake at 7:30
First nap 11 or 11:15, lately just for one hour
2nd nap 3:45 or 4 for one hour
Asleep by 8:30, sleeps 11hrs consistently, no NW
Occasionally he will do a longer first nap, up to 2hrs, so I'll do a shorter CN late afternoon (20-30min) so he can make it until bedtime. He generally has a hard time staying awake for longer than 4hrs.

Yesterday he woke from his morning nap after an hour..I went in to lay him back down and he fell asleep again, so his total nap time was 1hr 35min. Usually he would have no problem going down for his afternoon nap, but yesterday he refused it and I tried for an hour with no luck. After an hour I tried to take him our for a walk to see if he'd fall asleep that way, etc...nothing helped. So we put him to bed about 30min earlier and all was well. He only slept 11hrs so he went into the day today 30min short of his usual sleep time.

Today was a nightmare! He woke at 7 so I put him down for his morning nap at 10:45. It took me 2 hours to get him to fall asleep and he was awake for almost 6hrs before falling asleep!!! He just kept standing up and crying/whining and not matter how many times I went in to lay him down and tell him to sleep, he was back up again after I walk out. After an hour, I gave him Motrin to rule out any possible pain from teething or something like that. No luck, another 30min passed and I took him out of the room and gave him some milk..figuring he was hungry since it was his usual wake up time..he drank 5oz and usually drinks 2 at that feeding. Read him a couple books then tried to put him down again. Another 40min of standing/crying and finally fell asleep with me putting my hand on his back and talking softly. Woke after and hour and 15min. Given this short nap, I tried for a CN at 5:45. I tried for only 15min so as not to drive myself crazy and so his bedtime wouldn't be so late. Same thing...standing in the crib and whining crying while I tried to do WI/WO unsuccessfully. Got him up, did dinner, bath and put him to bed right away. Started trying to put him to sleep at 7:10 and SAME THING...standing in the crib and crying every time I walk out. I walk in and he stops and lays himself down, I walk out and he stands right back up. He's clearly exhausted. after another hour of this (me alternating WITH/WO and staying in the room..trying anything to get him to sleep), he finally falls asleep to me putting my hand on his back and humming. So he was up for another 6hrs!! I'm sure he'll wake at 7 which means he'll only get 11hrs again and now he's short on sleep for another 45min. I can see thus spiraling into an OT mess and it is exhausting for me too.

What can I do?? I'm not sure whether to stay in the room or WI/WO or less him fuss. In the past I've only gone in when he's standing and crying..if he's laying down he usually settles himself to sleep and goes to sleep in his own. He's not sick and no pain that I'm aware of, but gave him Motrin again tonight just in case. The only major difference is that he seems to be having a lot of separation anxiety and cries when he leaves my sight, even with my husband. Could that be causing him to not fall asleep on his own all of a sudden? How do I handle this without creating new bad habits? I'm worried if I give up then he thinks he can just cry for long enough and get out of his nap. He is very willful. And today he showed that he can stay up for 6hrs straight when he doesn't want to sleep. Please help! Any guidance much appreciated!

Kristin

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Help! Good sleeper gone bad...
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 05:05:49 am »
For his age and still being on two naps a day, 11 hours overnight is actually a decent amount. I imagine he is probably ready to start the shift to one nap. 3.5 hours for a first morning A is pretty short for this age...even though he has a hard time making 4 hours I would start to tweak things. Has he generally always done a longer morning nap? My DD3 did so I went for pushing her morning nap later and capping the catnap (while also bringing it earlier) to keep a good night (she is LSN though). I always used AP for the catnap though and quite quickly we went cold turkey to one nap.
Heidi

Offline Kristin.S

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 15:39:33 pm »
Thanks for your reply! Yes he's solidly at 11hrs at night which is great. My concern was that he wasn't sleeping any extra to catch up on lost daytime sleep, so the OT would continue to get worse. Yes he has naturally taken a longer AM nap so I think it will be easier to cut out the 2nd cat nap when the time is right. I just want to be sure he's ready before making the leap to one nap and it sounds like the longer you can do 2 naps the better. I will defn shift his A time to 4hrs now so we are on our way to 5, but 5 still seems pretty far off if he can barely make it to 4. I want to avoid an OT mess!

My main question is how to handle OT behavior and how to get him to sleep when he's OT. I thankfully haven't had to deal with this too much, so I am not sure the best approach. How long to try for a nap, whether it's better to get him up at some point, whether to continue to do WI/WO or stay in the room with him to help him to sleep. Usually I put him in his crib and he is asleep in 5min, 10min at the most. I know it could be UT, but after 6 hours it's clearly OT! He was exhausted but also wired and seemed unable to calm himself and fall asleep on his own....and he did this twice yesterday! Would love guidance in how to handle if it should happen again, thanks!

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 20:21:38 pm »
Actually I imagine he is UT to start but then gets OT after fighting sleep, which would be solved by more A time really. I have honestly never heard that staying on two naps longer is better - I suppose for a higher sleep needs child it would be but all my kids went to one nap by 11 months. My oldest two were pretty average sleep needs.
Heidi

Offline Kristin.S

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 06:25:21 am »
The 2-1 transition posts I read on this forum were my reference for postponing the transition
...it sounds like it can be quite difficult if you do it too soon.

I have stretched his A time to 4hrs the last couple days and he still only naps a little over 1hr, so he is short about an hour of daytime sleep. I didn't think they could so quickly shift away from sleep? Because he is short his usual 2-2:15hr daytime nap time, I have been trying for an afternoon nap to catch up and he still refuses, so he is going 6-7 hr stretches and is completely wild-eyed and exhausted by the time he goes to sleep. It's very difficult for him to settle down to sleep. I can try to stretch his morning A longer but he is still going very long stretches between sleep which is uncharacteristic of him and his historical sleep need.

What do you suggest?
Thanks,
Kristin

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 17:04:01 pm »
I think it really depends on the child how hard or easy the jump to one nap is. If he is outright refusing to have a second nap I would try pushing that first A time to 4.5, or even 5 hours and see if you get a better nap so the second A time doesn't end up being so long...also a lot of times they might need an early bedtime to get them by until the one nap reaches a decent length (it might take a bit for it to become longer). It will not be great trying to extend that A time in the morning but I really have a feeling that part is key...of course I could be totally wrong too, what does your gut tell you?
Heidi

Offline Kristin.S

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 15:02:04 pm »
Thanks! I'll continue to stretch his morning A time. So far he hasn't napped more than 1hr25min, usually with a brief wake at 1hr and I can get him to go back to sleep for a bit. Yesterday I stretched him morning A to 4hr35min and he slept 1hr25. I'll keep trying and do EBT until he sleeps longer. Thanks for your guidance. K

Offline Kristin.S

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 19:50:26 pm »
One question...should I make any adjustments to his eating times now that he is not taking a 2nd nap and going to be earlier? I am really cramming a lot into the evening..milk then dinner then bath and more milk immediately after dinner. He seems to be eating it all, but curious if I should try to space it out more with the EBT?

Thanks!

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2015, 12:58:05 pm »
Sorry I was away for a bit! Hmm might make sense to start dropping the milk right after dinner? Is it after bath time and right before bed?
Heidi