Author Topic: Clarifying Activity time  (Read 2473 times)

Offline newbie_momsie

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 12, 2015, 23:51:21 pm »
Hello!

My understanding of activity time means that the length includes eating and wind down. Is that correct?

Also...just wondering if the last A time before bedtime should be quiet play so the baby isn't overstimulated before bedtime? Or is it ok to play like during daytime and just use wind down time to help baby settle down? Advice?

Thanks!!!

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: Clarifying Activity time
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 02:46:21 am »
You're right about your A time definition - eyes opened to eyes closed, so it does include eating, winddown, etcetera.  It's not set in stone that your last A time be more subdued but many moms have found that to be a good idea as LOs tend to be so tired and/or overstimulated by the end of the day!  Sometimes that last A time needs to be the shortest of the day, some LOs actually do better with that last one being longer for whatever reason!

Offline newbie_momsie

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 13:18:54 pm »
Thanks Erin!

Yes, I find for my little one's last A time is also the longest before she will fall asleep!

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 00:46:41 am »
Mine were always the same! 

Offline newbie_momsie

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 17:06:52 pm »
Hi Erin,

I have another question about when to start counting Activity time if baby wakes up, say,  6:00am but dozes off for a couple of mins and wakes up again and then dozes off again for a few mins. Should i start A time from when she woke up right at 6am or when she woke up from dozing off last? I got her out of crib at 7am. Should i count from 7am but then i worry she might get OT for her first nap of the day is i count from 7am instead of 6am. Thx!

Offline freewheelnat

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 08:49:00 am »
I have the same problem sometimes, and in this case, I watch her cues even more carefully than I normally do and I make sure to get all the stuff I need doing done (ie feeding, nappy change), and then, I decide whether she seems up for active play like being on her gym or if she seems tired, in which case I go into wind down. I have found that in that case, she falls somewhere in between, as if she had been awake from 6.30 (with the timings you gave) but it's quite irregular, cues much more reliable than clock in that case.

Offline newbie_momsie

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 14:39:08 pm »
Thanks for replying feewheelnat!

Yes good point about watching her cues. I also find sometimes it is in between too like you said. Timing gets tricky! I worry about UT and OT lol!