Author Topic: Still do wind down if we go out?  (Read 1466 times)

Offline newbie_momsie

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 13, 2015, 23:35:03 pm »
Hello!

Just wondering on days when I have to go out with baby and can't make it home on time to put baby in the crib at her correct nap time or bedtime should I still do a wind down with baby? But this will push nap time or bed time even later. But I have trouble just putting her straight to bed because she will just roll onto her tummy and stay awake playing with her lovey. What should I do so she will sleep when we get home?  For example, today we came home and put her in the crib awake and it has been over 1 hr and she is still awake in the crib rolling and playing with her lovey. She is clearly now OT. Do i leave her until the next feeding time and cut down A time before bedtime and make bedtime earlier?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 23:52:56 pm by newbie_momsie »

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Still do wind down if we go out?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 07:56:29 am »
I would do a much shorter WD if to get her in bed as quickly as possible if you're home late.
On the rare occasion we've been out late we get home in time for brushing teeth and washing face but skip bath and move directly on to pjs and song then into bed.

You can't force her to sleep but it may help to do some shush/pat if she's finding it hard to settle after being put down later than usual. (if the hour playing with her lovey is a regular thing though you may need to look at her overall routine to check it's still suitable for her)

Offline newbie_momsie

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 14:27:34 pm »
Ok, I will do a shorter WD routine then. I noticed when she is OT she doesn't go to sleep as easily. Thanks for your reply!

Offline newkidontheblock

• Showing Appreciation 42
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 15:19:34 pm »
With mine, I've found that the wind down is needed more than ever on days when we have been travelling or out. Basically the wind down is  a way to calm them down and get them ready for sleep. The various things - song, swaddle, white noise - whatever it is that you do - these are the things that your baby associates with sleep and it lets her know what is coming next. So yes, even if I'm a bit late (which I try not to be as I live in fear of OT :P) I wind her down the usual way.

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 19:04:23 pm »
I think newbie_momsie has recently introduced a longer more structured WD consisting of lights, white noise, sleep sac, 2-3 books plus a few songs. 
Re: Independent Sleeping
I do agree that the regular WD is a cue for LO to sleep and they need it but I think this may be a little too much or could be reduced on days when arriving home too late to hit nap/BT.
Books can also be quite stimulating for babies so 2-3 may actually bother her rather than help relax her.

I think you get to know what your LO wants though.  Mine would arch his back to get away from me or even put a hand over my mouth during his 3 min WD song to tell me to shut up and just get him in bed! Other times he liked the song repeated before he was ready to be put down.

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 19:16:50 pm »
In that case, I would ditch the lights, books and songs and make time to fit in more calming cuddles, whatever you know helps LO.  That was generally what was needed for LO1, the WD king :)

I think the main thing is to get your mama-head around it.  Accept that BT is not going to be on time, and roll with it, very gently.
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2015, 19:31:36 pm »
We do WD here no matter what. Is no standard WD, DS is being surprised by situation and instead of going to sleep he starts crying:) so usually it would take less time to his bath and toothbrushing instead of him crying on and off until he finally settles.

If I know I will be much late I go for a wind down in a place where I am and at his normal BT I put him to sleep in a car seat and he nods off as usual. It frankly speaking works better than rushing home for BT with a little toddler who usually is trying to sleep in a car if it's close to his normal BT. So I just relax, do a 20-30min routine with a bath at my friends' house or my mum's and put him to sleep at 7pm. When we are travelling I usually make a stop, give him his BT milk, give him a bath or just wash him in a nearby sink :) (it really happened to us 2 weeks ago when during travel we stopped at nearby motel and asked receptionist if we may use the bathroom:), and put him back to his car seat. I also changed the direction on my car seat to rear facing when it's time to sleep.
In general transferring him sleeping from a car to a crib usually is easy and even if he wakes, he just smile, roll over and goes back to sleep.

HTH.
~Marta

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2015, 20:31:30 pm »
I do the same as Marti - if we are out I change him and get him to sleep if possible 'on the go'. He will usually wake when I get home but I treat that as a NWing and get him back to sleep in the cot.

One thing I have noticed is that after a busy grown up day I can have quite a UT baby on my hands, as all he has done is sit on my knee, or the sling, or the car seat, and he often really does need a chance to have a kick and a stretch and play before I try and do bedtime.

If he needs naps on the go I just let him sleep on the go. No wind down etc. I would just make sure I popped him in the sling when he was tired and he will nod off on me. Always a short nap, but it keeps us both happy enough  ;). Having 2 big kids does mean that I am on the go with my DS quite a bit, so my EASY and approach to sleep is far from perfect, but it does work out!

Offline newkidontheblock

• Showing Appreciation 42
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2015, 04:39:33 am »
One thing I have noticed is that after a busy grown up day I can have quite a UT baby on my hands, as all he has done is sit on my knee, or the sling, or the car seat, and he often really does need a chance to have a kick and a stretch and play before I try and do bedtime.
I've just noticed this too. Good point

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2015, 05:41:25 am »
Haha Liz - here it's totally opposite:). F is probably a spirited but touchy and day with new people and new places is definitely stimulating for him, even if not OT.
~Marta

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2015, 06:39:31 am »
Yes, but a toddler is always busy aren't they? If I did a after school thing with the kids then I would put thomas in the car seat at 2.45ish, then car to school, buggy or carrier to wait for kids, car to activity, sit on my knee or in buggy for an hour to watch, car home. He would probably doze for 20mins on the way home at 5ish. But it ends up as 3hrs doing nothing and even though he can be tired he still needs time to stretch out iyswim? If he is OS it helps him come back down. But I imagine at 15 months he will be very different as all that time would be toddling around.

Offline newbie_momsie

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2015, 01:44:05 am »
Thx for everyone's reply and sharing your experience with me. Much appreciated.

I will try for a shorter WD on days we get home late and see how that goes. When DD is sleepy she usually turns away from the book so she does tell me when to stop lol! 

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2015, 09:24:35 am »
When DD is sleepy she usually turns away from the book so she does tell me when to stop lol! 
Very cute :)  it's amazing how they can communicate with us in such ways isn't it :)