Author Topic: sudden habitual waking during nap  (Read 800 times)

Offline mommytogabriel

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 15, 2015, 16:53:07 pm »
Hi everyone

I really need some help! My little guy is 21mnths old and has been a textbook baby! However, suddenly he has started hysterically screaming an hour into his nap! I need to rock him back to sleep because hes crying so badly... I dont know what to do or why hes doing this.
This is our routine,,, and for what its worth, hes always been very high sleep needs

wake-630
nap 1130-2
bed 7

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: sudden habitual waking during nap
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 19:53:00 pm »
Two things come to mind:
1. that he is UT for the nap and it needs moving a bit later. Most people think OT is crying and UT is waking happy but mine also screamed on waking from an UT nap as he knew he was tired and just couldn’t get back to sleep. If your routine has not changed in a while it could be this, possibly moving nap 15 mins later could help (BT doesn't always have to move unless you get resistance)
2. that he is on the cusp of a language leap. We had a big one at 21 months. Awful sleep as all those developments are processed during sleep time.  It could go on a while then suddenly stop and your routine goes back on track without changing anything. And your DS will have lots of new words which will be your reward for putting up with the screaming :)

You could try going in at 55 mins to help him through that transition, he doesn't always lead to props, independent sleepers usually return to independence as soon as these developmental leaps have passed.  It could be more comfortable for you all to shush him (or firm hand with key phrase, what ever you do to sooth) through that transition rather than waiting until he's up and screaming.