Author Topic: Meal time no fun with 3 year old  (Read 2366 times)

Offline kdawson

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 15, 2015, 17:53:13 pm »
Hello - we have been having a lot of issues with our 3 year old not wanting to eat supper and just dabbling at supper.  We realized it was partially because he wasn't that hungry so moved supper from 5:30 to closer to 6:00 but even still...it's like 45 minutes of him not focusing on eating and seems to too often end up in frustration for all.  Sometimes we have to bribe with dessert (which is a piece of fruit) but I don't like the whole idea of bribing so don't use it all the time. 

Tonight I am going to set the timer for 20 to 25 minutes after he starts eating and let him know once the buzzer goes off and if he's not done supper then he can't get dessert.  That way maybe he'll stay focused a little more.  Thoughts?? He also wants to sit on our laps to eat and get us to feed him.  It may not be too bad but our 18 month old is picking up on this so feel like we have to be very strict (which we haven't been).

I would love to hear some tips or your thoughts on the buzzer idea??  Thanks :-)

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Meal time no fun with 3 year old
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 18:43:50 pm »
Personally I would not do the buzzer. Food is one of the things I believe kids are completely in control of...it is my job the make & serve the food, their job to decide what & how much to eat. Now in the list of unread posts I see you have a thread that he is waking early? Could he be tired at supper and not want to eat due to that? For sure I would start making a rule about no sitting on your lap if you want to avoid that (esp with two kids!) but does he do that at other meals or just supper?
Heidi

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 19:26:52 pm »
Personally I would not do the buzzer.
Ne neither. It may be less frustrating all round if you just excuse him from the table much earlier rather than trying to  tlak or bribe him into eating.

When you say he wasn't hungry at 5.30 I would have suggested bringing dinner much earlier rather than later as often young children get too tired and 'past' the point of being able to eat (quite separately from seeing Heidi's post above where she has suggested he could be too tired).  My DS is over 4yo and we have only recently moved dinner from 4.30pm to more like 4.45 or 5pm.  It's quite normal for young children to take in the majority of their calories in the earlier hours, morning and afternoon, rather than evening ( and can lead to family meals being disrupted by frustration when LO doesn't eat well).

Offline kdawson

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 03:29:38 am »
Thanks a lot Masyn and Creations!

Masyn - I don't think he is tired.  I do agree about the children should be in control of what food they eat.  There have been a few times that we let him take the lead (or barely eat anything at all for supper) and of those few times there were a few times that he woke up super early because I am fairly certain he was hungry.  With sleep being in a deficit I admit I push to get him to eat a little food to avoid that at all costs. 

Creations - he eats a snack at daycare at 3:00.  The snack is usually fruit which he loves so I am not sure it is because he is over hungry.  It took me a while to realize what over hunger looked like and to be honest, his mood seems pretty good before supper.  Plus, on the weekends we don't give him as much of a snack and we can have an easier time getting him to eat his supper which makes me thinks he is eating a lot at daycare at snack time. 

I understand children are not going to eat everything and I really do want to trust him in what he eats.  I also don't want to get into the habit of making two meals when he doesn't like something (or really, doesn't prefer something) we make.  Where is there a balance?   Do you more enforce taking a bite of something to try it by bribing or gently ask them to and if they don't so be it?  Personally, I've seen a family where they made two meals because they didn't want to deal with the fighting and now they have a very picky eater.  I wouldn't classify DS as picky but maybe...stubborn?

Thanks again for your help :-)

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 05:25:23 am »
What I do is make one meal with modifications (DD2 is gluten free and there are a few things we all do not like!). The main part of the meal is similar - say the meat & rice, with a variety of veggies. If I serve "dessert" it is with the meal, not after. I will ask my older kids to taste one bite of anything new but otherwise no comments on their eating at all.  If they eat a few bites and are done, they are done (lol but if they come back 15 min later they get it warmed up and served again!).  By his age I would attribute an ew more to routine than hunger really...but for sure that late snack at daycare could be putting him off his supper.
Heidi

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 06:12:35 am »
My DS2 hardly ate the evening meal from 2.5yo to about 5yo, he ate Breakfast around 7am (despite waking before 6am) & ate lunch & a snack & that was pretty much it for the day. I learnt he didn't sleep any worse & it wasn't worth worrying about. Even now at 10yo he still eats more in the first half of the day than he does in the afternoon/evening.

There have been a few times that we let him take the lead (or barely eat anything at all for supper) and of those few times there were a few times that he woke up super early because I am fairly certain he was hungry.  With sleep being in a deficit I admit I push to get him to eat a little food to avoid that at all costs. 

Its far more likely that with the early waking it is more about thirst & not having sufficient to drink that would wake than hunger, one of the things we automatically go for is hunger, but generally it is thirst more so, I'd make sure that even if he doesn't want to eat in the evening he has plenty to drink.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 08:56:30 am »
I wouldn't expect a 3yo to wake early from hunger. It's possible that once awake he may ask for food earlier if he is having a growth spurt though. Mine has done this several times through GSs, as soon as his morning lights are on he's asking for a banana rather than his regular routine of reading then milk then breakfast a little later. When he asks for banana it's in addition to his regular breakfast routine.  This spurts pass pretty quickly so could look like they are a one off or linked to not eating enough the night before.

Where is there a balance?
To me the balance is more that you make sure all meals/snacks are healthy and that the overall diet is balanced over a day or even a week.  I often make the 'best' meal in the evening for the family meal, so that's when I do a proper meal with veggies etc (rather than say a cheese sandwich with salad and fruit which he'd have at lunch) and I can understand that if a child doesn't take that evening meal you might feel they are missing out on a range of foods which are not available the rest of the day - in this case I'd cook an extra portion in the evening and set it aside in the fridge to give the following day at breakfast or lunch (even if it is served cold rather than warm).

I really don't think there is a balance between 'trust' and enforcing or bribing him to eat, you either trust him or don't.  Children have a pretty good instinct to stay alive and eat, will eat when hungry and stop when full (and will eat until overfull if given something they really like but will likely balance this out over the coming days by eating less again so overall their intake is fine). Many children are distrusted by adults when it comes to food and so learn to distrust themselves, if they are forced, encouraged or bribed to eat when they are full they stop trusting their own body signals...which can lead to less instinctive eating later on.

I wouldn't make two different meals. This is not something a child forces an adult to do, it is something an adult can choose to do or not do. I do adapt a few meals for my DS in the same way I adapt our menus keeping in mind my mum's preferences, my DP's preferences and also my own, but I don't have any one individual dictate what we have or a separate meal (unless for allergy reasons). My level of adaptation for DS's prefernces goes as far as
- he doesn't like mash, never has, I lift out a few boiled potatoes for him before I mash the rest, it is very little bother
- some fish he does not like unless it is crumbed like a fish finger, I crumb his portion to make "fish bites" which I do not mind as this way he gets a wider variety of fish where as if I made frozen fish fingers it would always be cod. This way of serving fish has resulted in more varieties of fish which he will eat without the crumb because he is accustomed to the flavour and texture over time.  He still gets the same meal as the family.
- if I serve cauliflower I make sure there are other vegetable options available, cauli is one of his true hates
- if I serve rice I give him bread, rice is one of his true hates and often results in vomit. The rest of the meal is the same though, he gets a naan bread, chapati or just a slice of bread instead, or just the main without the carbs side.

They are all relatively easy adaptations rather than two different meals. I'd never serve a meal totally made up of things he doesn't like but I wouldn't do that for DP either yk?

Offline kdawson

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 03:22:44 am »
Wow!  Thank you so much for all of the useful information!  I am doing a 180 degree shift in the way I was thinking.  You all had such great insight and have provided so much help.  I truly appreciate it.  I certainly like the idea of not feeling like I have to 'fight' with my child every supper.   From what everyone has said, this is what I am going to do:
-since vegetables is the food he should be eating more at supper, I will offer that as a snack when they get home (balanced diet).  They will eat it if they are hungry and it won't significantly interfere with supper since it is low calorie.  This will be offered around 5:15.
- Supper will be around 5:45 (not ideal for DD who eats everything in sight but better for DS) and I think I'll try more lunch time food such as soup and sandwich rather than a bigger meal which is what we normally have
- we will continue with trying one bite unless we know it is something he really dislikes (peppers and tomatoes are the only things I can think of)
- if they are still hungry after eating a reasonable amount of supper they can have fruit if they ask but I won't make fruit a bribe to get them to eat their supper
-  I will be more trusting of what they eat and not be so emotional about worrying whether they will get up too early.  It's interesting, I was always forced to eat everything on my plate growing up and I have become accustomed to overeating so I definitely don't want my children to be the same.
- I will make sure DS has enough water because he doesn't drink a lot during the day and we've recently realized how this affects his mood.  It's funny, he doesn't always ask for water when he is thirsty.  I admit we have limited this before bed to avoid him peeing his bed but I think we'll just have to be more diligent in offering this earlier in the evening. 

I will try these modifications and respond in a few weeks to let everyone know how the changes went.

Thanks again!!

Offline nona

• Showing Appreciation 95
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2015, 04:10:00 am »
good advice.

i rarely make different meals. sometimes i may add rice or something if i don't think they will eat alot of the veggies. my kids almost always will take a few bites of a veggie/etc even if they don't like it too much.

don't worry if he doesn't eat a lot at dinner. both of my kids do this now and then. it just depends on their day. my 3 year old usually doesn't eat too much at dinner as a rule. i don't worry about it all. my 8 year old was similar as a toddler and he is a little big for his age!   we don't do any "before bedtime" snacks.  kitchen is pretty much closed after dinner.

both of my kids wanted to sit on our laps to eat. it used to drive me nuts with my DS but guess what? my 8 year old no longer sits on our laps to eat!!! so if my 3 year old wants to, we let her. she likes to share our meals and i also think she eats more when we are sharing. she does not do this at every meal but it is often. it is a phase and it will pass! i wish i had known this with when my DS was a toddler.

i also saw your thread about EW and like Heidi was wondering if he is tired.
heather

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2015, 07:36:49 am »
I like your plan - you already sound much happier and relaxed, and in a way more "in control" even though it's a complete shift away from the "control" of the buzzer idea and bribing with desert.  I hope it goes well for you all and that meal times can return to a time of togetherness, sharing company and bonding as well as sharing food :)