Author Topic: 16 months sleep  (Read 1083 times)

Offline Laineybobs

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 15, 2015, 19:28:35 pm »
Hi
Looking for some advice. Our 16 month old was in a good routine but lately it's becoming barder to settle him at night. His easy is:

Wake - 715/730
A
S - 1230/1245 for hour 40 (to the minute!)
Y

E - 215
A
S 745 - Tho lately it's taking us 20-30 mins to get him to sleep so not conning until 815 some nights?
y

I don't know what to do to tweak his routine so we don't have this battle at night? Feel like 815 too late for bedtime? Some days he will wake 715 and then sleep at midday and then sleep at night at 745 easily?

Any advice? X

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: 16 months sleep
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 02:42:17 am »
My youngest has always done an 8 pm bedtime, which is closer to 8:30 these days. Not the norm for sure but she is low sleep needs and it suits her. There is also a bit of a sleep regression at 18 months and for some it comes early!
Heidi

Offline Laineybobs

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 19:40:26 pm »
How would I know if it was sleep regression? I just feel that on a 1hr 40 nap a 6hr A time is too much? Today went totally to pot - woke at 645, napped at 1210, woke at 1240, went back at 1, woke at 2, was still sleepy and went back til half 2? But tonight wouldn't go down til 820/825ish? What's going on? Any help?!

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 13:00:13 pm »
Hi how has it been going? Sorry I was away for a bit! A time can really vary depending on the child, some do really well on a bit higher A time. With a regression I guess if nothing else is the reason(ie teeth, growth spurt etc) you can usually chalk it up to that.
Heidi

Offline Laineybobs

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 20:20:44 pm »
I'm really not sure what's going on. His routine is so hard to pin point which is frustrating as we had such a good one before. Now he wakes sometimes at 6am to talk tho we don't get him out until 645 earliest. Then his nap is so off - sometimes wants to go down at 12, other times not til 1230 then will sleep sometimes 1hr 10, spmetimes 1hr 50 and then bedtime is so hard! We keep same routine each night and then around 745 he will say baba and snuggle in and almost be asleep. However as soon as I take him up to bed he starts rolling around wanting me close and IT can take 30-40 mins to get him to go. It's so draining and I don't know where or how to tweak routine or if this is just a WW or phase? Any help?!

Offline Laineybobs

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 20:29:48 pm »
Tonight and last night he didn't go down til 815 but if I let him sleep past 7am our day goes to pot? What do I do?!

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2015, 02:26:46 am »
Have you ever tried much earlier bedtime?  Any sort of developmental leaps going on? (Speech, walking etc?) Teeth maybe? Just thinking might be ot and os at bed and having a hard time settling as that is a pretty long A to bed for that age.
Heidi

Offline Laineybobs

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2015, 18:35:23 pm »
Last night we had a waking at 345 for about 30 mins just talking but settled himElf and we didn't go in - is that OT? He woke today at half 6, napped at 12, woke after hour 10 and went back for another 20 - so 1.5 hour nap in total so put him to bed at 715 and still trying to get him down now at 730? So that's 6 hours awake? I don't know where I'm going wrong! He's working on his language, wants to spend a lot of time reading books, and trying to say lots of new sounds. Don't think any teeth tho they have been bugging him last few weeks? Any advice?!

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 15:13:49 pm »
For us a chatty nw would be ut or development - it really sounds developmental if he is having a language leap, he might be having trouble shutting his brain off for sleep!
Heidi

Offline Laineybobs

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 19:48:55 pm »
If it's developmental does it last long? I feel at a loss as to what to do with his routine? Do we just ride it out? Or make changes now?

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2015, 13:57:17 pm »
It's really up to you, I suppose tweaking a bit can't hurt but sometimes it is simpler to stick to what you were already doing and ride it out. Also finding lots of daytime activities.that fit with the new skills so he can get lots of practice in! So frustrating I know. I honestly cannot remember how long any of these phases lasted with my older two.
Heidi