Author Topic: In a bit of a mess.....  (Read 1808 times)

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
In a bit of a mess.....
« on: June 17, 2015, 18:15:18 pm »
Firstly :o :o how are we on this board already?

Secondly, please can I have some help/a level-headed opinion on our somewhat messy sleep?

It's been a rough couple of weeks for B.  He started nursery and cut one of his canines at the same time, subsequently came down with chicken pox and is just about over that, but cutting another canine and possibly his last premolar too, along with a cough ::). Needless to say things are not brilliant in the sleep department!

We had for some time been aiming towards a set nap at 11.45 to fit with nursery routine.  So days looked like:

WU inconsistent, anywhere from an occasional 5 (ugh) to 7 if he managed to resettle but 6-6.30 on a good day
Possible CN ~15 mins around 9.30am if woken very early
Nap 11.45ish for average 1.5-2h but could be a bit less or more
BT 6/6.30ish

It wasn't great but was kind of holding together.  But now it's fallen apart in a rather big way.  We've had WU 5-5.30 most days for the last week, so needing a CN to get to set time.  Or at nursery he's gone down earlier than set nap as he clearly wasn't going to make it, but then had either one early nap of just over an hour, or two short naps.  Then last two days only slept 45-60 mins for main nap, then taken another short CN in the afternoon to get to BT :o disaster!!  Lots and lots of early NWs.  And total sleep has plummeted.   

Not quite sure where to start sorting it out.  I can't AP back to sleep if he wakes early, he's usually had a good 10.5-11h night sleep so not likely to resettle even though he doesn't seem done sleeping.  Not technically EWs I know but I feel like they are for him as he isn't waking totally rested. 

Any thoughts?  Do we need to ride it out a bit more?  Cut the CNs and power through with set nap and bedtime?  Try some catch up days (though goodness knows what or how!).  Let him sleep as and how he wants for a bit?  I don't feel like I'm seeing clearly right now so would appreciate any thoughts :)

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: In a bit of a mess.....
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 18:22:21 pm »
I would suggest you need to ride it out a bit more and see where you are in a few days. I would keep with cat naps if needed to get you through till BT.  I am sure in a few days that things will settle a bit and you will see a bit of a more predictable pattern you can work with.

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 18:28:13 pm »
Thanks hun, I think I agree but needed someone else to tell me if you know what I mean?  Ugh it's rubbish seeing him so tired though :(

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 18:36:22 pm »
With all that going on you just have to muddle through! Olly had NWs and a 5.30 WU today too - all because of hay fever!  :P

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 18:39:10 pm »
Ugh rubbish!! Saving grace is I need to be up by 6 for work so at least I'm getting to see him before I leave!!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 18:42:33 pm »
Always a silver lining  ;D

Offline rachaelcole

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 18:54:55 pm »
We had a similar situation and (luckily) I had a week of annual leave booked from work.

I cancelled childcare etc (which is where things tended to fall apart) and gave a catch up/sort out week.

Started by allowing (and capping at 15mins max) a cat nap at around 09.00 (I had to APOP this in the car) to get to 'set' nap time or just after, which would still then give 1.5-2hrs. Also stuck with EBT for first few days. This had no effect on WU time until about day 3/4 when DD seemed to have caught up on enough day sleep to assist with WU.

Once WU was sorted, we stuck to set nap time and pushed bed time back by 15mins for 2/3 nights to get back to normal BT.

Took the whole week, but she caught up and all was well again.

Hope that helps a little!

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 19:35:57 pm »
Thanks Rachael that's so helpful xx

Offline lily_layne

• Showing Appreciation 65
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2015, 01:49:29 am »
I had a very similar post when DD started daycare - she even had some no nap days. It was very messy sleep-wise. We mostly just muddled through and used EBT a lot. There were lots of days she was sleeping by 6. She did do a CN some days in the stroller when we walked home but not very often.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2015, 11:06:05 am »
Have things settled down?  I hope so!

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2015, 18:00:18 pm »
Thanks for the thoughts :-*. In some ways yes and in some ways no.  We are over chicken pox and teeth have cut through the gums.  So that's a start.  But still has a cough/cold and I think we are dealing with some serious built-up OT.  Is it ok if I post what's happened last 3 days?  I am struggling to know what to try as now nursery is Mon/Thurs/Fri I only get two days together before he goes back there again and things are rather out of my hands.....

....anyway for what it's worth:

Saturday (did my best to get a catch-up day):
WU 5.10 just over 11h night
In car around 9ish, didn't doze off
Nap 11.20-12.55, then 13.10-14.30 in car - total 2h55
BT 6.15 and would probably have gone sooner
Couple of short NWs

Sunday:
WU ~5.50
Nap 11.35-13.25 (resettle at 12.30 - total 1h45/50)
BT 6.20
Unsettled night, cried out roughly every couple of hours, had to go in 2/3 times

Today:
WU 5.40/50ish
*nursery day*
Nap 9.45-10.20 (35m)
Nap 2/2.30ish for 30 mins
BT pd 6 screamed and settled eventually at 6.25/30ish

There's more than likely some SA right now as well as tiredness.  But I really am at a loss about how to get some better sleep into him.  Nursery as you can see will put down when they think he's tired so two short naps seems to be what we get right now. 

In an ideal world I'd love WU 6.30, nap 11.30/45, BT 6.30/7. 

Any thoughts?  Go back and try to get two naps working?  It's been a while but I can try it.  Stick with set nap time +/- catnaps as required and pull bedtime earlier?  I've been nervous of super EBT with him, it's never worked brilliantly but I'm willing to try.  Try to go with one nap but pull it earlier?

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2015, 21:49:56 pm »
Gah - that is a hard one. TBH he isn't doing too bad on the amount of sleeping he is getting but I can see where you want to be  :P

I don't really know what to suggest as Olly wasn't an EWer at that age and was a late afternoon cat-napper if at all. Oh and EBT didn't work here either. It just meant an earlier WU.

I am not much help am I!

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2015, 06:34:21 am »
Thanks for the thoughts anyway :). Will start a new thread in a bit for some more eyes as I know people tend not to read the ones that already have answers x

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2015, 11:54:37 am »
Yes definitely  :)

Offline athenasmom

• Showing Appreciation 16
  • What ice cream ... I had no ice cream!!!
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2015, 17:02:41 pm »
Why did the nursery change his routine? Can you communicate with them and ask to put him down at his usual time? I think you should stick with the 1 nap routine and ask the nursery to keep up with it. What do you think?
*Suzanna*