Author Topic: Sitting in crib for hours  (Read 660 times)

Offline julz222

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 18, 2015, 02:28:51 am »
Hello
My toddler (23 months old) has started some unusual behaviour at sleep time (naps and bedtime). He has gone to bed as usual with same routine and no fuss, but will then sit in the corner of his crib for hours. It started only at bedtime, but it is now happening at nap time too.

Initially I was just leaving him and he would eventually bend at the waist and fall to a lying position. However, when it began pushing 9:30PM I started going in an rocking him. Within 2 minutes of rocking he would be fast asleep. I have now started to rock him if he is not sleeping within an hour.

He schedule is 7:30pm-7am, with a nap at 1pm. After sitting there at naps and finally being rocked to sleep at 2pm he will sleep for at least 2 hours. I will always wake him if still sleeping at 4pm (which happens to be most days) because of concerns that bedtime will be effected.

Anyone have any ideas as to why he might be sitting for so long? He looks so lonely and sad :( My worry is that he might for some reason be scared to go to the sleep? Is this possible so suddenly?

Thanks for any ideas.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: Sitting in crib for hours
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 06:06:11 am »
Hi, bless him sitting there. Is he crying or just sitting quietly?

Do u think he's UT if he's taking a long time to fall to sleep?x
Zoe

Offline julz222

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 20:22:16 pm »
He is just sitting there quietly or talking to himself.

He might be UT.... but is a 9pm bedtime not a little late for a not even 2 year old? With a 9pm-7am sleep and 2 hour nap that makes only 12 hours of sleep in 24 hours... Is that not too little for that age?

I have debated putting him down at 2pm and only letting him nap for 1.5 hours, I just hate waking him from naps.. so grumpy on waking.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: Sitting in crib for hours
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 20:26:18 pm »
It could just be a developmental leap, we had some very odd sleep at 23-25 months around birthday.

Sleep sounds good really, maybe it might be worth trying a later nap and capping it just for a few days to see what happens...we did have to start nap capping around this age as it was taking ages for DS to get to sleep.

You might find if its UT then capping nap by just 15 mins might help.x
Zoe