Author Topic: Early morning waking 9 months  (Read 1004 times)

Offline Dino44

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 18, 2015, 08:58:03 am »
Hi my LO is almost 9 months and we've had EMW since forever but we've had periods of 6-6.30 (acceptable) and now back to 5.30am. He is a very good self settler and settles for naps and night sleep very easily and has been sleeping through the night for about 5 months bar the odd bout of teething etc. I know we're very lucky to have this 10.5 hour sleep through but just wondering if there are any tweaks I can make to help the EMW. Happy to stick with what we have it you also think it's not worth the tweaks as potentially may mess with the night.

Wake up 5.30 on the dot every day chatting happily (Occasionally 5am).
Chats for an hour, few small moans but no crying. Don't go in and he falls asleep independently between 6.20/6.30-7am when I wake/he wakes.

MN-10.15-12.15 (I wake)
AN 3.30-4pm (normally in pram/car and wakes himself by 4.
Bedtime 7pm. Normally asleep within minutes till the following day but has been taking up to 15 mins to fall asleep the past few days (I put him down at 6.45).

Is this first 'nap' between 6.30 and 7 reinforcing the EMW even though he hour of awake/chatting/ going quiet time is in his cot? Loads of stuff I've seen says to resettle them in bed if you can which is why I've tried to stick with this. Generally very happy boy in the day so wary about playing to much and really messing it all up but worried this 5.30 will get earlier in the future?

Please let me know thoughts.

TIA x

Offline Dino44

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 08:59:11 am »
Oh and meant to say for months we tried the short am, long pm nap but the pm nap was so hit and miss and we had to have so many early bedtimes because of this which didn't help and he hates being waken from am nap so been going with long am nap and a much happier boy.

Offline newkidontheblock

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 42
Re: Early morning waking 9 months
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 11:18:49 am »
Hi there. Your routine sounds great. So if i have understood correctly, he wakes and lies there happily and then sleeps off again? You don't have to go in or help in any way? If that's the case then I would say leave him to it. As long as he is happy and not crying for you, he's fine

Offline Dino44

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 15:46:20 pm »
Yes so he is awake for around 50 mins to 1 hour chatting away until he falls back asleep till I wake/he wakes at 7. Was just worried that it was too long to be awake as a NW and whether the 30 mins sleeo that followed counted as a 'nap' and was causing the EMW. He is quite happy with the routine so maybe just stick with it. I can only just fit the 2 Naps into the day at the moment and I think 3 hours awake time is correct after the 30 min pm nap as no NW etc and goes down awake but what do I do when awake times lengyhen? Shorten the pm nap? Any idea how much by and subsequent awake time till bed as don't really want to go later than 7pm bedtime xx thanks for your help!

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 16:30:30 pm »
I think 3 hours awake time is correct after the 30 min pm nap as no NW
But something to consider if the EW continues.

As A times continue to lengthen, you can cap the nap to leave the desirable A to bed. So by 7 months, we were capping the pm nap to 1 hour and then the am nap lengthened some more, so I kept the pm nap as a 30 minute CN and went for an earlier bedtime instead.

Offline Dino44

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 19:59:16 pm »
Thank you. What sort of awake time were you doing after a 30 minute nap? The last week the 3 hours has worked but today he was super tired after 2 hours so put him down and already had one little night scream 45 minutes into night sleep. TIA. Sorry for more questions!

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 08:37:41 am »
Happy to help, hun:) After lots of experimenting, I found 1.5 hours to be perfect after a 30 minute nap. After a month or two, I moved to 1.40 and then to 2 hours but I always felt 2 hours was a bit long. Unsettledness or wakings soon after BT usually do indicate OT. Hope that helps

Offline Dino44

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 21:04:06 pm »
Thank you. He (touch wood) sleeps through but occasionally lets out a 2/3 second scream in the few hours after bedtime. This may not happen for weeks and then sometimes happens several times a week-is this OT? I assumed it was but I don't have to resettle as by the time I get upstairs he is already asleep! Does this indicate that gap between last nap and bed is too long though do you think? X your responses have been so helpful-thank you! X

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2015, 03:27:48 am »
Why not reduce it a smidge and see if it makes an overall difference?