Author Topic: 6 months old night wake  (Read 931 times)

Offline Jess_C

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 18, 2015, 14:20:19 pm »
Hi

My 6 month old was sleeping through the night few weeks but now has been waking up. Is been a week already. His routine is now like tugs give and take

8 am wake and bf
Solid : 9am
Nap: 10.30 to 11.30/12( somedays he does 1 hr to 1.5)

Bf at 12pm
Solids 1pm
Nap 2.15 to 3.15 ( again only taking an hr sleep now if an lucky 1.5)

Bf 4
Cat nap 6 to 6.45

Feed this with bottle 8 oz at 8pm and bed.

My problems
1. He used to self settle during bedtime but lately he can't and needs patting. His nap he can still self settle. Why can't on bedtime?

2. He will wake himself ard 10.30 /11 which I feed 8 oz treat it as a df. Previously he is always in deep sleep and nvr wakes before midnight

3. Will hv one night wake . So far is 3 am , 4 am or 2am even! I tried to resettle but just can't and give in with bf.

Can anyone shed some light? A week seems too long for a growth spurt. Is he needing a routine change to drop the cat nap so he can settle during bedtime?

Offline newkidontheblock

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 42
Re: 6 months old night wake
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 14:46:13 pm »
I do think you need to push his A times a bit. Looks like you'll might be transitioning to 2 naps and dropping the CN. I found A times moving very quickly between 5 & 6 months. At 5 months we went from 2 hours to 3.20 A by 6 months. Crazy.
All about the 3-2 transition- 5/6 months
Average A times- BOOKMARK ME!

Another thing I was wondering is why his A is reduced by 15 minutes before the pm nap. Perhaps if you keep it at the same time as the morning nap, it would lengthen to 1.5 at least.

I did also find that one of the signs that we were in the 3-2 transition was that my DD started waking between BT & DF. It took a few weeks to get back on track. We basically had to push A times until naps lengthened and pull BT forward for a while to try and manage any over tiredness. A few weeks of consistently good naps and it was back to normal. I did also notice though that after that, DD would keep having these wakings in the first part of the night if she did not get the amount of day sleep she needed. I kept a log of her days and realised that anything less than 2.5 was an issue for her.

Regarding your NW. It is very normal for babies to have 1 or even 2 night feeds at that age, more so with breastfed bubs, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Hope that helps

Offline Jess_C

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 16:16:26 pm »
His awake time is reduced cause he is too tired from poor naps. Anyway I did lengthen and it didn't work too. Maybe I need to try again

Offline newkidontheblock

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 42
Re: 6 months old night wake
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 16:27:43 pm »
But a 1 hour nap doesn't really count as a short nap:)