Author Topic: Sleepy cues  (Read 1039 times)

Offline Emmageddon

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 18, 2015, 16:54:54 pm »
Hoping for some advice...

My baby is 6 weeks old and, I think, a spirited baby. I'm unsure however about the yawn sleepy cue. Currently she wakes up and feeds, which takes 30 mins. I go and change her nappy (5 mins tops) and she's exhibiting sleepy cues - clenched fists and then often does her first yawn so I put her down to sleep. Sometimes she goes straight to sleep, others she stays awake for ages and either lies quiet or grunts - this can be up to an hour.

I'm very awake that, by week 6, she should have more awake time - maybe even 45 mins, but thus is not happening.

Am I reading the sleep cues wrong? Or shod I go with keeping her awake for 45 mins?

Any advice would be great!

Thanks,

Emma

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Sleepy cues
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 08:38:19 am »
I never found yawns particularly reliable as a sleep cue, often they would come too late, or too early after a short night or disturbed night.  More a sign of built-up tiredness rather than ready for a nap right now if you see what I mean?  But some people do find them a helpful cue.  What about other things - fussiness, glazed look, jerky movements?  It's worth considering whether the fact she settles sometimes and not others could also just be she hasn't yet got the hang of going to sleep reliably on her own (I wouldn't expect her to at 6 weeks).  If you shh pat will she go off?  You can always try a few extra minutes awake and see if she settles easier, it's all about experimenting really :)

Offline Emmageddon

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 07:57:11 am »
Thank you so much Jessmum46. I've ignored the yawns and have now found that her jerky limbs and fussiness lead is into the sleep window. The last few days she's mapped brilliantly (well in the mornings. The afternoon and evening is a struggle.) But I feel like I can understand and read her better. Thank you!!!  :) ;D