Author Topic: Ditching the Dummy - 2 year old - any advice?  (Read 970 times)

Offline Bababoo

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Ditching the Dummy - 2 year old - any advice?
« on: June 19, 2015, 19:31:36 pm »
2 yo DD has a dummy for her nap and at bedtime - can replug during the night, and doesn't necessarily wake when it falls out of her mouth - but she is a very active sleeper and it often falls out of the cot which means I'm in and out of her room, some nights every couple of hours which means I'm wrecked - and she is an EW to boot! The last week she has this notion that she wants two of them, one to hold and one for her mouth, and then decides she wants two different ones..and on and on, meaning BT has become a battleground when it never was before.

Would love to ditch the dummy totally - is cold turkey the best option? I know it means naptime and bedtime will be hell for a few days but am wondering if anyone can offer advice from the other side - or any advice on a different way to go about getting rid of it at this age. Took her an hour to go to sleep tonight as she kept throwing it out of the cot and asking for a different one (they are all the same brand so there isn't any difference!!).

Offline Mrsb3

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Ditching the Dummy - 2 year old - any advice?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 19:12:01 pm »
Maybe she has bit in to them and created a hole? My son does lthat all the time and was forever buying dummies... Anyway, with my eldest I chopped the end off all his dummies and when he asked for them I said it's broken, showed him and asked him to put it in the bin. Then he would find another that I randomly placed around the house he would then run to me and say "oh no broken!" So again I said please can you put it in the bin. We did this all day long and at night time before bed he asked for his dummy and I just reminded him that their all broken and there in the bin. That was the end of that, he just got it :-)

Offline Bababoo

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 20:13:37 pm »
Thanks for sharing - I actually checked them when I was washing them to see if there was a leak - but she looks at the design and colour when deciding to reject or accept - what's acceptable for her nap becomes totally unacceptable for bedtime - so it's purely a 'notion' she has taken!

From what you've written it seems like you did it in one day - is that right? Was he dependant on them for sleep - I can see DD helping to put them in the bin and then having an almighty meltdown when there's none left for bedtime!

Offline anna*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 21:11:03 pm »
Yeh there will be a meltdown for sure. I think there's probably no way to avoid it at this age, really. Or, you could just hand her two dummies at bedtime and ignore the meltdown over the design/colour (I mean, don't leave her to cry, just say sorry these ar your dummies for tonight, I can see how upset your are etc).

Offline Bababoo

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 07:22:27 am »
Yea, I know I'm facing hell - which is why every few months when I resolve to get rid of them I break down at bedtime - especially as sleep has always been such an issue that the thought of taking away something which aids (but then also impedes on sleep when issues like the current one arise) makes me weak at the knees!

Have given her two most days since this started  - then at 5am this morning she decided that the two she had were no longer acceptable so she threw them out of the cot and demanded two more (and she has a blackout blind so couldn't even see them) - so I pretended to get two  different ones but because she'd been up thinking about them we both ended up awake for the day. Sigh.

Offline anna*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 09:20:51 am »
You can keep the paci but you'll have to stop pandering to this "different one" idea. Either way there will be meltdowns. Id probably quit it now for that reason, since either way there will be tears.