Author Topic: 19 month old extended night waking!  (Read 970 times)

Offline Cleoandskye

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 21, 2015, 17:50:53 pm »
Please could someone out there try she's some light on what is going on with my 19,5 month DD's sleep pattern.

We have weeks where she sleeps beautifully from 7pm to 5:30/6am, but of late she has started these night waking which last between 3 and 4 hours. We've tried shooing her and keeping her in her cot, rocking, popping her in our bed.....after the first hour or two we are desperate and can only settle her by switching the telly on or popping her in the car until she falls asleep.

She's a slow teether (only has 8), so am  considering that she may be uncomfortable which is causing this restlessness, and once she wakes and we pick her up she properly wakes up (however if we don't pick her up the crying starts and she becomes increasingly difficult to calm), but I'm not sure if I can continue blaming this on teething.

In the quiz she is borderline textbook and spirited baby.

On a good night her day is as follows:
-5:30/6 wake up
-bottle
-7/7:30 breakfast
-10:30/11 sleep (usually between 2 to 3 hours)
-lunch on waking
-17:00 supper
-18:00 bathtime
-18:30/19:00 bottle and bedtime

Her waking usually begins between 22:00 and 23:30. It usually begins with her moaning, I leave her as she's  not crying and it sounds more like she's trying to self soothe.  This on and off moaning can stop and start for over an hour until she actually begins crying,  in which case we begin the process of  trying to shoo her, calm her etc. The crying then stops and she's ready to play. Only time the crying starts again is when we  try force her back to sleep.

Does anyone have any insight into what is going on?

Thanks lovely mommies

Xx

Offline Maria14

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 21:21:13 pm »
We went through the same thing as you describe, 3-4 hr wakenings,not really distressed but unable to fall asleep again.
For us this was OT - still is.
It was bad when we transitioned to one nap- she used to want to quite early in the day and then get OT from long pm.
Now it had hit us hard again as we are dropping the nap (DD is almost 2.5)
Could you try and push her nap out so she takes it later in the day and has a shorter pm activity time.
Could she last until 11.30-12?..
Maria

Offline anna*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: 19 month old extended night waking!
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 08:05:53 am »
There's a big sleep regression at 18 months, so you could be in that. Have you tried medicating her for pain if you suspect teething?