Author Topic: Struggling with lunch and dinner  (Read 1387 times)

Offline Kfro

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
Struggling with lunch and dinner
« on: June 27, 2015, 17:09:35 pm »
Hi all,

My ds turns eight months this week and was doing well with solids up until a couple of weeks ago. He has been having a variety of purées and finger foods. He still eats well at breakfast but barely eats anything at lunch or dinner. I am wondering if this is a sign that I either need to restrict the milk feed he has before or swap the milk feed and solids around. He currently has a milk feed on wake up from each nap and then solids 1.5 hours later. He is in the middle of a wonder week so maybe this is making things a bit wonky but I want to make sure that he is getting enough solids before looking to drop one of his milk feeds in a couple of months.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Struggling with lunch and dinner
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 09:44:46 am »
Hi there
Sounds like your routine is fine :)

There are a few reasons why your Lo might sho less interest just now:
- It's quite common for LOs to eat more at breakfast and smaller meals for lunch and dinner, taking in the majority of their solids calories earlier in the day, it could be that your LO is just changing the preference for when he takes in calories.
- It could be that you have become accustomed to his appetite through a growth spurt when he was much more interested in solids and the return to a more regular intake appears to be significantly less.
- It could be that there is some teething discomfort so whilst he still eats at breakfast to get his calories he is less inclined to do so later in the day.

Babies are pretty good at self regulation and eating to their own needs. If they lose their appetite through teething they will take in more when things are more comfortable to make up for it.  Equally LOs are likely to show less interest in one or more of the milk feeds when they are becoming ready to drop a milk feed so there is generally no need to swap milk/solids around or to restrict milk.
If there are night feeds (or a DF) you might look at dropping one of those before dropping a day feed.

If you are concerned about his diet being a little limited over this phase because he is eating breakfast and not lunch/dinner you could save a portion of dinner for the following morning and offer at breakfast time instead.  Otherwise I'd just follow his lead at the moment and see how things go for a while.