Author Topic: 6 month old nw every 90 mins at best  (Read 1247 times)

Offline sophsk22

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 24, 2015, 03:47:15 am »
Hi,

I'm looking for some help for my 6 month old who has just started waking multiple times in the night. The last couple of days it's been every 90 mins or so, before this he typically had two night feeds three hours apart. Our routine is generally something like this:

7am: wake
7.30 bf
8.30: solids
9.30: sleep - generally 45 mins, sometimes 90 mins
10.15 wake
11am: E ( bf)
12pm: solids
1pm: sleep - generally 45 mins, occasionally 90 mins
1.45: Awake
2.30: E ( bf )
4.15: nap
5: E ( bf )
6: solids
7.15: bed
10: dream feed

He then wakes at least twice for feeds but the last few days it's been every couple of hours and feeding is the only way to settle him. This means he's not very hungry for the first breastfeeding.

It's all fairly flexible but his awake time is generally around 2hrs 30/45. He seems particularly tired at the moment, there's lots of eye rubbing and he starts to get quite grumbly if I try and extend the awake time any more. He also ends up taking a shorter nap if I do that. I do wonder if it's that he's ready for the 3:2 transition but he never has too much daytime sleep I don't think as his naps tend to be short. If he does a longer nap and that pushes all the timings back we do manage to get to just two naps but it doesn't make a difference to the night and it doesn't change the total amount of daytime sleep he's getting.

Any advice is appreciated, I'm shattered! We've been weaning for about three weeks, he seems to love most food and he's having three small solids meals a day.

Thanks

Offline anna*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: 6 month old nw every 90 mins at best
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 13:37:26 pm »
Is he an independent sleeper? Do you feed him at every waking? How do try to settle him when he wakes up? I'm thinking this is either discomfort, or feeding at night has become a prop - does either one of those sound more likely to you?

Offline sophsk22

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 15:25:29 pm »
Yes, for naps and bedtime itself he goes down to sleep by himself generally happily and easily. I'd wouldn't have thought it's a prop, but it's definitely in danger of becoming one. He hates pick up/put down, just gets progressively more worked up. Similar with shish pat these days. He's got a lovey that he uses to go off to sleep with but that never helps when he wakes. I've tried just a hand on chest and white noise but it's only worked once. He only settles when he knows he's going to get a feed now.  I wonder if it's part hunger but then he just falls asleep so doesn't geta full feed. Or yes, guess it could be discomfort. He only has a small last solids feed though, and only ever something he's had before and I know he's ok with.

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 15:28:53 pm »
It sounds like feeding to sleep overnight has become a prop if he won't go back to sleep without it :/

Offline sophsk22

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 16:24:56 pm »
Perhaps, but I've only done that for maybe two nights. I'd tend to always feed him when he wakes though add previously he'd only wake every 3 or 4 hours and he's always been on the small side. He weaned himself off the dummy a while back, that used to help. I'm yet to find anything else that does.

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 16:45:59 pm »
I think you will have to persist with settling without feeding, except for say twice a night to begin and then down to once. Yes there will be a lot of crying :(
My only other suggestion would be to wonder if it could be discomfort, have you tried medicating in case his teeth are bothering him? To me only props or discomfort would have him waking so frequently.

Offline sophsk22

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 17:20:40 pm »
Ok, thanks, will give it a try. I tried teething granules last night but that didn't seem to make a difference. I've also tried not doing any solids after 3 today in case that's causing some discomfort. Thanks.

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2015, 17:44:20 pm »
Come back and let us know how you're getting on? We can help if you're still struggling to settle him.

Offline sophsk22

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2015, 06:49:12 am »
Well last night was a bit of a new low, we had six wake-ups. I guess that rules out discomfort due to tea time solids. On the plus side I did manage to keep settling him and only fed him three times (the last one was at 5.30 out of desperation when he'd been awake at 4.45, 5.15 and then 5.30). I'll keep persevering with tree-settling without feeding and see how things go once he's used to that.

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2015, 22:05:11 pm »
Sending hugs and strength. What a rough night. I hope you get some more rest tonight.

Offline sophsk22

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2015, 06:36:44 am »
Thankfully last night was better, he woke t 1, 4 and 6.30. I fed him at 1 and 4 as that's what he's used to and it was such an improvement on the last few nights. Who knows what made the difference, just hope it continues to improve.

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2015, 07:11:56 am »
Next I would work at dropping that 1am feed- he's getting 3x feeds at night now? Or, let him wake naturally and Feed him once more. He doesn't need more than 2x night feeds, really. Glad the night was better :-*

Offline sophsk22

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2015, 13:01:38 pm »
Thanks, yes, will try that. Fingers crossed!