Author Topic: Help with 3 to 2 transition (now 2-1 transition!)  (Read 12914 times)

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
Re: Help with 3 to 2 transition
« Reply #75 on: July 15, 2015, 18:47:02 pm »
Grrr just lost my reply to you   >:(

Anyhoo,  long and short of it was, I think I'd try and keep him up for the journey there, perhaps take some snacks or something to keep him entertained. I'd presume he will fall asleep on the way back, but guess we'll have to roll with it. If he takes a short nap (my DD always slept less when not in bed), I'd hold your usual A time and try for a nap gain in the afternoon. If it's a short nap there too, just do an EBT. These one-off things happen, it won't affect what you're doing in the long run.

If by some coincidence he actually takes a longer nap in the pm after a short nap in the am, we'll know more yet again xx

Offline LittleSplasherMum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #76 on: July 15, 2015, 19:09:30 pm »
Yes, that sounds like a good plan, I just hope he doesn't wake earlier than 6, or he'll be really knackered, won't be able to show the hv his good crawling  :( He's the same, doesn't sleep much in the buggy or the car, let alone planes  >:(
I was also thinking it's a good excuse to find out if he would sleep more in the afternoon after a catnap in the morning...
Do you remember how long were your dd's naps at this age (he'll be 10 months on the 25th) xx 
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 19:41:52 pm by LittleSplasherMum »

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #77 on: July 16, 2015, 06:40:09 am »
We were mostly on one nap around now hun I think, or at least heading there.

We were doing 4.5hr first A for 1.5hr nap and attempting an UT nap after 3.5hrs (capped at 30 mins if she did take it which was rare), then 2.75hrs to BT. We were on the earlier side of going to one nap though  ;).

Good luck today x

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #78 on: July 16, 2015, 07:01:06 am »
Looks like we don't have to go anywhere, I've just double checked the letter for the appointment and next to "venue" it says "your home" !! can't believe we didn't spot that all these weeks we had the letter!! my brain is definitely not working as it used to  :o
so now I'm gonna have to keep him up till the hv is gone, let's hope he doesn't get too grumpy...

Wow your dd was up a lot already at this age! ds has always been on the low side of A time for his age, so I'm quite surprised at how long he's awake now!

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #79 on: July 16, 2015, 10:32:18 am »
Ok, so the visit went well, put him down at 10.30, went to sleep quickly, no crying, phew...30 minutes, awake obviously. Went to rub his back as he was kind of screaming, calmed down, left him to himself, usual noise for 15 minutes than quiet, went to have a look, asleep!! this had not happened in a long time! now I guess is going to sleep for another 40/45 mins, which will take us to 12, what do I do for his pm nap? if I keep him up the usual A time we will be at 3.45pm, very late for a nap! shall I just give him half an hour then? this is typical, tonight we are going out DH and I alone (only second time in 9 1/2 months!) as our neighbour has kindly offered to babysit, so I don't want to put him down later than 7.15 and now if he sleeps till 4.15 he won't be tired enough! ???

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #80 on: July 16, 2015, 18:22:41 pm »
Sorry hun, one of those crazy days here.. Hard to log on when we're nap capping now.

What did you do in the end hun? I would've done a short nap as you said, especially as you've got a babysitter in. I hope you have a nice night out  :-*

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #81 on: July 16, 2015, 20:07:35 pm »
Oh don't worry, no problems! we went to the park and thankfully he fell asleep on the way back at 3.25, left him in the buggy in the lounge and had to wake him at 4, then bed at 7, asleep at 7.10! Just got back and our neighbour said she did not hear a sound, so hopefully he's sleeping well! All in all a good day, considering the morning!  :) fingers crossed for the wu! this morning he woke at 6.05, so not bad!

should I carry on with 3.50 A time in the morning, I think I could probably push him another 5/10 mins or maybe hold on another day...

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #82 on: July 17, 2015, 05:49:44 am »
This is looking good hun, it's totally up to you about pushing the first A. If you think he's ready then go for it. You'll probably have to cap that second nap as you have been doing to preserve BT x

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #83 on: July 17, 2015, 06:43:44 am »
mmm this morning wu 5.50  >:( I wonder if it's because he didn't stay up as long as usual before bt yesterday... fingers crossed for good naps, I think will try 3.50 this morning again and may be increase tomorrow.

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #84 on: July 17, 2015, 15:38:24 pm »
Today has gone well in the end so far  ;D This morning after 3h50ish A time he slept for 1h5, then this afternoon we had visitors, so we kept him up for 4hrs or so and he slept for 1h10! Does that tell me he can handle 4hrs A time now? should I keep him up for that long in the morning as well from tomorrow? I will probably have to start capping one of the two naps though, won't I? today he woke at 4pm so I'm happy to put him down at 7.15/30 and see what time he wakes in the morning.
He is better after sleeping an hour in the afternoon, so I'm tempted to cap the morning nap, wdyt?
Should I start a post for 2-1 transition  ???

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #85 on: July 17, 2015, 19:03:59 pm »
Haha, I hate to say i told you so about the 2-1  :P

It starts to get a little tricky around now as you ideally can't have 4hrs A time before each nap, with longer naps as that will make the day horrendously long.

I wouldn't cap the morning nap now hun. The reason being is that this will be the nap that remains when you're on one nap albeit later on in the day. He's not refusing the pm nap just yet so I'd hold it, but reduce the A slightly so you get an UT nap in order to preserve BT. He'll be happier as it'll be all the sleep he needs. Does that make sense?

I'll post the link for you to have a read through. I'm presuming that first A will have to be moved out in a matter of days or a week as he'll get used to it soon x

From 2 to 1 nap transition (10-12m and older)

P.s and don't worry about starting a new thread...I'm happy to guide you through it as long as you don't want some new eyes? X
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 19:06:56 pm by Kellyjs »

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #86 on: July 17, 2015, 19:20:03 pm »
That's great advice, thank you! it does make sense to keep the morning nap long, so I should keep increasing the A time in the morning then and if we get a good nap, reducing the pm, ok!

I'm happy to keep using this thread! I feel like I owe you lots, you've been so helpful, you saved my sanity! a month or so ago we nearly paid for a sleep consultant, so you also saved us lots of money! I would like to send you a thank you card if you feel like you could share your address with a private msg, but don't worry if not! I will for sure make a donation to this website anyway!  :)

Offline Kellyjs

Re: Help with 3 to 2 transition (now 2-1 transition!)
« Reply #87 on: July 17, 2015, 19:27:01 pm »
You don't have to thank me hun, it's my pleasure. Funnily enough, I've been where you are now. I started a 3-2 thread that quickly turned into the 2-1!! With help on here I cracked it, so it's my way of paying it forward. I was soooo much better with the 2-1 than any of the other transitions  ;)

I'd hold that first A at 3hr 50 tomorrow, see what happens. Perhaps go back to 3hr 45mims for second nap? Remind me, how long does he like before BT if it's a shorter nap? Saves me going through our conversation  ;) xx

P.s I've just updated the thread topic just in case people are searching for answers to questions they may have xx
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 19:28:42 pm by Kellyjs »

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #88 on: July 17, 2015, 19:33:32 pm »
He can stay up to 3.5hrs before bt, but yesterday and today he did 3.10 and 3.15, so I'd say 3.15 would be the ideal. Today he went swimming at 4.30 and he looked more tired than usual. I did bt at 7.05 and he was asleep at 7.20. It'll be interesting to see if he sleeps longer in the morning.

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #89 on: July 17, 2015, 19:36:24 pm »
Definitely. Let's see how the wu is, let me know. Fun packed day for you then, swimming and  friends over! We went swimming today too as it happens. We go in the morning as I can't face doing anything like that so late though with all the school kids around  ;) xx