Author Topic: Big boy bed when to transition ?  (Read 719 times)

Offline Chloevalentine

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« on: June 26, 2015, 17:30:16 pm »
My lo is turning 2 next week and he's very tall/big for his age. He seems to be getting cramped in his crib but is sleeping fine at night. When is a good idea to transition ?

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: Big boy bed when to transition ?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 17:59:14 pm »
I think in general (there are always exceptions), the later it is the easier the transition. My DS is/was 98th percentile and we moved him around two years because I thought he 'looked too big' and it was not easy. It got better only when we put a gate at his door so he could no longer come out constantly (it was like a compulsion and worse the more tired he was. My DD is/was also 98th percentile. At 2.5 we took one side off her crib so she can get in and out. At 3.5 she has only just this week TRULY become too big for the crib and is now on a mattress on the floor until her new big girl bed arrives next week.

So my advice is, if he's sleeping well, don't rock the boat. Of course if he starts climbing out, then it's a safety issue and he needs to go in a big boy bed.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 18:15:22 pm »
Totally depends on the kid! We kept DD1 in her crib until 2.5 until she climbed out but we ended up putting her in a twin bed because my sister needed the crib for her DS2. DD2 was 16 months when we took the side off and  she fit in it as a toddler bed until she was 4 (she is a very still sleeper and never got out unless told to!). Roll on DD3 and she will be in a sleep sack until she learns to undo zippers as she can climb out if not in one. I will keep her in it as long as possible because she can open doors and climb gates.
Heidi

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 18:18:32 pm »
Given your nap issues right now I would say now is not a good time! 

Offline okinawamama

• Showing Appreciation 16
  • Stephanie
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 22:39:11 pm »
We waited until both my boys were older, and the transition was so much smoother than many of my friends who moved their kids at age 2. We waited until both boys were 3, and there was barely a blip in their routine.
toddler A 3/16/2009
baby B 4/20/2011

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 02:50:15 am »
Thanks for all the tips! I'm def going to try and wait until he doesn't fit anymore lol. Guess I'll start focusing on the potty training. Another thing I don't think he's really ready for lol

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2015, 19:15:21 pm »
No rush to do that either hun ;)

Offline mycatmonet

• Showing Appreciation 23
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 11:03:13 am »
Totally worked for us waiting until 3! Approx 2 weeks after 3rd birthday we swapped the cot for a toddler bed (same size as cot, used same mattress) and dd has never gotten out of bed at night. Not once. And she stays in bed in the morning until I go and fetch her!! Size wise... Dd is off the charts for height said our paed. She is 3.5 and 107cm tall at last measure. Stil fits. I want to get as much use out of her cot sheets as possible lol!

No rush unless your ds is climbing out...