Author Topic: 7.5 MO Frequent NW and 5am wake - has EASY stopped working??  (Read 2877 times)

Offline jellyfur

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: 7.5 MO Frequent NW and 5am wake - has EASY stopped working??
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2015, 19:51:11 pm »
Thanks for getting back to me, and not at all - I confused things by splitting wake and eat times  :)

I think it's worth a try extending the afternoon A time and I reckon I could definitely keep her awake a little more in the afternoon so will try extending it by 15 minutes for the next 3 days and see how she goes.

Yesterday was interesting after the easy bedtime put down - she woke up at 11:30pm (usually wakes around 00:30ish) and wouldn't go back down with the usual sssh/pat (normally with the first NW it's easy to settle her). I ended up bringing her into bed with me and after 45 minutes she fell asleep and didn't wake up at all through the night. She woke in the morning a little earlier than usual at 6am (usually 7am).

Was trying to replicate yesterday's schedule today but we had to go out and pick up our car at the garage (some lovely person hit our car and drove off last week) and of course she ended up falling asleep in the car seat only 2 hours after her last WU!!. She only napped for around 40 minutes so come 4:30pm she was knackered. I let her sleep for 15 minutes just before 5pm just to get her through dinner, bath and bottle - she went down at 8pm tonight but has been woken up about 3 or 4 times in the last 45 minutes! Will see how the NW's go tonight.

Really hoping for a sleeping baby at night as I'm getting wisdom tooth surgery tomorrow and have been told to expect to be in pain for the next few days - won't be much fun with a baby who's not sleeping haha  :)

Thanks again for all your advice - much appreciated. xx

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2015, 18:32:07 pm »
I really hope it starts to settle down for you soon hun. I wouldn't be best pleased about some num nut driving off after hitting my car either. I'm sure the wisdom tooth will be ok, is it an extraction? Some are worse than others, but usually after a day or so it's just fine.

Keep me posted as to how the extension of the second A goes xx

Offline jellyfur

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2015, 19:37:10 pm »
Hi Kelly's, sorry for the late reply, wisdom tooth extraction got infected so it's been a painful few days! Also wanted to give the extension of the afternoon A time a decent run before feeding back.

It's been a bit hit and miss. The first day we extended the afternoon A time she definitely slept better. Second night was even better then from there on it was back to frequent waking throughout the night and now also early evening. The 5am wake ups have started back again too :( Here's a quick overview of what's been happening.

1st night: Bed at 7pm. Stirred at 00:30. Slept until 4:30 when she stirred again. Slept until 7am.
2nd night: As above give or take 20 minutes.
3rd night: Bed at 7pm. At 11:30pm I had to move her sleep position so roused her a little. She went straight back to sleep and slept until 7:00.
4th night (onwards): Bed at 7pm, waking every 1/2 hour or so until after midnight then again at 2am, 4am and 5/5:30am.  Been like that most nights now.

Tonight I put her down at 7pm as usual. She's woken up twice already!

She's been falling asleep every night mid bedtime feed but I've woken her to brush her teeth then put her back down.

Not sure what else to try now...she's back to being a very unsettled sleeper.

Any ideas on what to try next? Xx

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2015, 06:59:05 am »
So sorry to here about your wisdom tooth! Hope the ab's kick in soon xx

Those sound like discomfort NW's hun. Any chance teeth are on their way.. Just to add to your teething dilemmas  ;)

How are the naps going during the day now? Any chance she's OT by BT? Xx

Offline jellyfur

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2015, 20:29:54 pm »
Hi Kellyjs, again, sorry for the late response. Decided to stick with the extended A times (pushed the second A time up a further 15 mins now) to see if it made any improvement. Still hit and miss.

Was thinking about teething and OT being the issue, but it's definitely not teething. She's not in any discomfort, doesn't give me the pained cry, tug ear etc. and is not drooling or biting much at the moment, I've not had to give her Calpol in ages. Being OT is definitely a possibility though as when she wakes up during the night, she's clearly really tired and wants to go back to sleep, but just seems restless and frustrated.

Couple of observations over the last week or so...

- She cannot stay awake for any more than 3 hours in the morning. She gets really OT and almost hysterical if she's not put down for her first nap within 3 hours of waking up (sometimes she only makes it to 2.5 hours). I was wondering if maybe she's waking up earlier than I think and I'm just not hearing her. She's napping for a good 1.5 hours in the morning.

- She is now no longer waking up at 7/7:30am. Every morning it's 6am bang on (or just a few minutes after).  This is actually making the A and S cycles really difficult. When she wakes at 6am she falls back to sleep at 9am (I've tried keeping her awake for longer by walking around but she actually passed out asleep on me as I was walking) which means that she's awake at 10:30am again. If I keep her awake until 2/2:30pm (approx. 3.5/4 hours A time) then she's finished her final nap by 3:30/4pm and goes to sleep easily at 7pm. BUT... quite often she's so tired by 2pm that she falls asleep earlier which means her afternoon nap is over by 3/3:30pm and she's a mess by bedtime. Have tried to bring bedtime forward but not working - she just gets frustrated and cries for ages.

- The 5am wake up is now only happening every now and then. She is waking up at 6am now though.

- She's waking up through the night now at the same time every night - 3am. She's pushing herself up onto her hands and knees and mantra crying. Really frustrated and definitely wants to go back to sleep. Sometimes it can take me an hour to get her back to sleep. I think this NW and the time it takes me to resettle her, coupled with the morning WU only a couple of hours later is what's making her so tired by her first morning nap.

I'm just persevering just now but it's getting pretty hard now.

P.s. Should change the title of this thread to 9 MO (wow, can't believe it's been a month and a half this has been happening!_ *Sobs to herself*

x

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2015, 18:49:29 pm »
Poor you hun, it does feel like it's been going on a while for you don't it?

Ok, so an 11hr night isn't bad at all at this age, especially with 2 good naps. We just need to space it a little better for you don't we? I'm not surprised an earlier BT doesn't help as she's getting in a good amount of sleep in 24hrs yk?

How about we stretch that first A very slowly? So adding 5mins on every 3 days? Wdyt? I know it'll be hard, but maybe doing the softly, slowly approach might work better for her in the morning.

An option is to try w2s around 2am. I don't know how you feel about this? If it is habitual waking that should help eliminate it, but it can take up to a week to work. It's a PITA setting an alarm for that time in the morning, so it's totally up to you? Xx

How to address habitual wakings (w2s and other methods)