Author Topic: 8 month old who can't fall asleep in crib  (Read 1121 times)

Offline bexdex

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
8 month old who can't fall asleep in crib
« on: June 28, 2015, 03:15:27 am »
Hello,

I have an 8 month old girl that I tried very hard to get on Tracy's easy plan during  her first 5 months of life,  but couldn't get away from shhh patting every time for up to 40 minutes so I just gave up and am currently BFing her to sleep (gasp). I knew it was the wrong thing to do but I just didn't have time to shh pat her every nap so I gave up.

I have an older son who I got on the easy plan at around 10 weels and I just loved the structure it brought to our lives.  I am desperate to get that with baby and am open to any any any advice. 

Offline anna*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: 8 month old who can't fall asleep in crib
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 10:33:18 am »
;) feeding to sleep isn't 'wrong'. It's just not for everyone, long term.

So at nine months you would do PUPD which at this age essentially amounts to trying your best to settle her in her cot. She may not seem to calm or be comforted by you at all, but it's not like CIO because you are there reassuring her. But you should expect some pretty hard crying. That said, you can also expect to see pretty quick progress, so if you are consistent you should be all done with sleep training within a week.

To give it it's best shot, have a plan for when/if you will feed overnight, so that you know before you go in to her whether you are going to feed or settle her without feeding. Don't do PUPD for an hour and then feed, yk? That's just confusing.

And check your routine is age appropriate, so you're not trying to sleep train a baby who is over- or under-tired: Average A times- BOOKMARK ME!

How does that sound?

Offline bexdex

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 21:04:00 pm »
Thank you very much for your prompt and useful reply!  Having checked your activity time chart, that may be something that had been working against me. I think maybe I have not been giving her enough activity time before bed.  Also the poor dear has no concept that a crib is for sleeping so I guess it's time to fave the music and do some PUPD! ::)

I am a very impatient person and this next week will be very difficult for me but I am comforted that you think it should be doable in about a week!

Thanks again for your help!

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 21:04:52 pm »
Let us know how it goes ok? Or pop back with questions - always happy to help. Sleep training is hard work for sure but for me it always helped to know I had a plan.

Offline bexdex

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 20:22:30 pm »
Ok does pick up put down necessarily work for every baby?  I just spent 2 hours 15 minutes doing it and in the end she fell asleep in my arms which defeats the whole purpose of teaching her to sleep in her bed. 

What I did was fed her and then laid her into bed. At first she didn't cry and just kept trying to climb up to a stand at which point I picked her up,  held her for 5 seconds and then laid her back into bed.  After almost an hour if this she began to cry.  I continued with the above,  sometimes holding her a tad longer till she settled down a bit. I lay her down on her back,  she flipped over, grabbed the crib bars and started climbing up.  I was very quietly shhing   her all along to get her to relax.  Also when I laid her into bed i kept my hand on her chest or bottom to let her know I was there.  She just didn't relax.  After over 2 hours while I was holding her she finally fell asleep and I laid her into bed.  I don't know if I can deal with 2.25 hours of that again!  Am I doing something wrong?  Or is this possibly not gonna work for my baby! ?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 20:55:49 pm by bexdex »

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 20:35:50 pm »
This was at bedtime? It is always best to start in the morning, for the first nap, if you can - for naps you will do PUPD for 45 mins and if she's not setltling then abandon the nap - because then by the time you've done PUPD for 2 naps, she has had some practice at it and is getting the hang of it by bedtime!

The next thing to mention is, you can't do PUPD on a baby who isn't crying. It's not going to do anything to help a happy baby stop playing. If she's calm and playing in her cot, just leave her to it and come back and do PUPD when she's really crying.

Also it sounds like she maybe wasn't all that tired - what kind of routine are you doing with her?

Offline bexdex

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 02:08:14 am »
No this wasn't bedtime it was her afternoon nap. I had decided to start PU/PD  but only after her usual snack before naptimes.   So in the morning she went to bed nicely so I didn't have to do PU/PD but in the afternoon I had to use PU/PD which I now see from your post that I might not have even had to considering she was playing in her crib for the first while!  Here is an approximate schedule of what my goal is with a routine. Feel free to tell me any areas you would change.

6:30-7 wake and BF followed by floor time
8:30-9;30 depending on when she's tired,  BF and into bed
11;00 wake and eat solid food followed by  BF
1:00 I BFed her and tried to put her to sleep again. ..I now realize it was too short an activity time. ..I'll be gearing more for 2
4;00 BF and then solid food followed by activity time till around 7 BF
7;30 tub
8:00 BF and I start with the very long process of getting her to bed. If I ever manage to get her to sleep quickly she sleeps around half an hour and then I work on getting her to sleep the rest of the evening

« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 02:11:18 am by bexdex »

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 06:56:55 am »
Only to keep an eye on A times. On the routine you post they vary from 2-4 hrs, maybe aiming for a more consistent 3 (or thereabouts, she may need slightly more) will help make sure she's not too OT or UT to settle.

Offline bexdex

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2015, 02:54:56 am »
k I'm desperate. i had success 2 weeks ago after i wrote this post when my husband managed to shh patt her to sleep in 20 minutes. after he discovered that, we consistently used that method,gently holding her down so she couldn't stand up and she needed shorter and shorter shh patting to get her to sleep....until suddenly the method didn't work at all again. (possibly teething involved?) i have her on a ways better schedule now with very consistent 3 hour activity times. but she just doesn't sleep. last night she woke up at 2:30 and we couldn't get her back to sleep till 5. As we continue to get more and more run down this crazy baby continues to get worse.  the part i don't understand is i had Tracy's EASY plan with self sleeping skills working wonderful for my son, so obviously I can do it. i just don't get why I'm having no success with this baby!

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2015, 18:56:46 pm »
Have you been medicating for teeth pain?