Author Topic: dropping his daytime bf  (Read 1596 times)

Offline 1stimer

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
dropping his daytime bf
« on: June 29, 2015, 19:02:22 pm »
Yesterday our schedule was a little off and we were busy so when I sat down to nurse ds at bt I realized he nursed in the am twice but really it was once with a 15 min break and then his bt feed. Today he nursed at 8 and it's now 2 and hasn't shown interest. Usually he will get a little fussy and I'll pick him up and he will try and get to my boob but bot today so far. Is this normal and ok?? Just 2 feeds a day? He's getting milk in a sippie and at breakfast when he eats cereal.

[/url]

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
Re: dropping his daytime bf
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 19:05:23 pm »
Totally fine at over a year.  We have weaned BF and not replaced it, except to offer a sippy of cows milk at breakfast and supper - he'll take an oz or so at most.  We have milk on cereal, plenty of cheese/yoghurt and other sources of calcium so besides the immunity/bonding benefits of breastfeeding there is no nutritional need to continue feeds that you don't want to continue.  Milk is a drink from age one, primary nutrition should come from food :). But that said, keep up your breastfeeding relationship as long as you both want!!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 21:57:39 pm »
It's fine if you are happy to drop to 2 feeds. Many people do after 1yo.

Is he eating a varied solids diet? There is significant nutrition to be had from breastmilk even after 1yo but if he is eating a good diet of solid food then he should be able to get sufficient nutrients from that.

Two feeds a day will give excellent immunity too.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline 1stimer

• Showing Appreciation 19
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 00:16:02 am »
He's definitely getting lost of solids. Dairy doesn't seem to bother him anymore (but I definitely feel different since eating it again :/ ) so he's gets lots of it throughout the day. It makes me a little sad though.

[/url]