Author Topic: Early waking 15 mth old  (Read 856 times)

Offline alana84

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 30, 2015, 02:46:03 am »
Hi there,

I was hoping someone could offer some advice with our 15mth old's sleep.
Up until about 4 weeks ago he was sleeping until 6/6.30am. Now he wakes at 5/5.30 and cries on and off until we get him up. Sometimes he will go back to sleep by himself but most times not. He won't be resettled. At first I thought it was just a phase so I stayed consistent and didn't get him out of bed until 6.15. I even got up at 3 am one morning to give him nurofen in case it was teething pain that was waking him. Still no change.

Here's his usual day if it helps.

5/5.30 awake
6.15 out of bed, breakfast
9.00 morning tea
11.00 lunch
11.30 180mls cows milk
11.45 nap 1.5 - 2hrs
2.00 afternoon tea
5.30 dinner, bath , story time
6.30 bedtime

He still has a dummy for sleep time. Not sure if that's the cause of these early wakings a but I've ditched the dummy from today onwards. He's old enough now.

Please help!!

Offline ladymugg

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Re: Early waking 15 mth old
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 04:14:48 am »
My little girl sometimes wakes early (occasionally)... what I do, but not as a rule, is go in and tuck her back in.  Sometimes (only sometimes) I give that first bottle/milk cup a little earlier and then put her back down.

I know people are probably going to have a go at me saying you never want to feed a baby to sleep and I 100% agree with that, but I just tend to gauge the situation and offer the bottle and then she is sometimes more relaxed and has a bit more sleep.  (But not always).  I have her bottle and breakfast split anyway - usual bottle is upon wakeup at around 6/6.30 am and then breakfast 1.5-2hrs later. 

I would be checking the following as well - is your baby too hold/cold?  Is the light all blacked out?  (It is winter here but where you are, maybe it is daylight saving time and there is sun creeping through?)  Is he eating enough dinner?  All obvious things to check, sorry just posted them as reminders!!
Mum to DD born April 2014 and DS born April 2016.

Offline alana84

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 05:05:04 am »
Thanks for your reply.

I find that if I go in his room at all and then leave again he's hysterical, won't resettle. I have to either leave him or get him up.

He eats fairly well at dinner time and hasn't had an bottle before breakfast for many months now.

While its winter here, we don't notice a difference in his waking in the warmer and colder nights, he's pretty well rugged up too.

I was thinking of pushing back bedtime to 7pm. It's not really fixing the problem but it might make the mornings more bearable :)

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Early waking 15 mth old
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 07:04:08 am »
We have the exact same routine right now, the early mornings are horrible aren't they?  The only things I can suggest are if you have the flexibility to pull nap earlier and see if you get a longer nap, that may help.  And/or an earlier bedtime until the nap lengthens to 2h or more consistently.  I did a 6pm bedtime yesterday and although he still got up at 5.20 today he had half an hour more sleep overall.  I'm hoping maybe that may help us get him better rested and WU may naturally improve.  No idea if it will work but thought I'd offer it as an idea x

Offline alana84

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 10:12:50 am »
Thanks. I do try an early bedtime sometimes when he's extra cranky 😄