Author Topic: 10 month old twins won't nap!  (Read 3811 times)

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
Re: 10 month old twins won't nap!
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2015, 18:32:20 pm »
Laura has some wonderful advice there hun, she helped me through the 2-1 too! And she's done it with twins.

Because they're consistently waking earlier, yep, I'd push that am nap out now too. We have tried the other way round for a few days and they don't seem to be settling into it.

So dyt you're ready to try plan b, or would you rather stick with what we're doing for a few more days and see? X

Offline babybarr

• Showing Appreciation 224
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2015, 21:57:07 pm »
Hi Kelly :)
LAURA xx

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2015, 18:33:10 pm »
Hiya Laura, thanks so much for jumping in here. It's always helpful! Especially with the twin issue too, you're a star  :-* x

Offline babybarr

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2015, 05:34:34 am »
Swissmrs how's it going?
Hope you're hanging in there. How many teeth do they have atm?
LAURA xx

Offline Swissmrs

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2015, 19:33:19 pm »
Hi! 
I've been MIA this week since we went out of town and our nap/sleep/everything schedule has been trying to adjust to
1) a different apartment
2) their dad taking care of them all day as I attend school.
We are out of town for another 2 weeks and I don't know if it's the right moment to really keep tinkering with their schedule.
Their dad does his best and does a great job, but he is a little less vigilant about times than I am.  Plus, He can't really put them down in their beds during the day because, even though we have tried to darken the room as much as possible, it remains fairly bright.
The good news for today is that I was home with them to help and they napped for 45 minutes from 10-10:45. and then for 2 hours from 3-5 in the stroller!  They went to bed at 8:30 last night and woke up at 6:30.  They drink formula as a snack between meals and we are in the process of switching to number 3 instead of 2, which I'm hoping will eliminate some crankiness between meals.  And to answer you about their teeth, they have 2 on the bottom and 2 just came in on top 2 weeks ago.
So, maybe we'll keep trying this way?  They get pretty cranky in the morning before their nap.  I can't imagine pushing it back any further right now.  10 is already a stretch.
Thank you all for your advice!

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2015, 08:24:36 am »
I'd keep going until it doesn't work anymore hun, then if that happens, we're always here to help!

That sounds like a great amount of sleep you got there, hope it continues for a while for you  :-*

Offline babybarr

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2015, 18:53:04 pm »
Ditto to what Kelly said! Seems like pushing that nap back a bit has helped. If they spend the next yr or so taking their long nap in the buggy then so be it! They don't nap forever!
LAURA xx

Offline Swissmrs

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2015, 14:13:27 pm »
Hello everyone!  Well, we are back home and for a week the naps we're going really well. It was like they were so grateful to be home and back on a more recognizable routine.
We went for a walk at 10, I woke them or they woke naturally after 45min, then the pm nap at 3 with only 15 min of fussing. They slept anywhere from 1.5 hours to 2hrs 15min. Of course, dinner was later and bedtime moves back to 8:30, but then they slept until 7:30 instead of 6:30!
However,
We missed some naps over the weekend and now everything is messed up again, at least for one twin. They started nearly refusing the am nap. They now fall asleep maybe around 10:45. And one twin just can't seem to get to sleep for the pm nap. The other fell asleep after 30 min of fussing. She also sleeps a bit later in the morning while the one who won't nap is starting to have EW's again. I don't have the heart to wake the sleeping baby because why mess with something that is kind of working for her?
I don't know. After a dream week I am kind of lost again.
Help!

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2015, 18:44:29 pm »
What a shame hun, it sucks when they do this doesn't it? It may be that we need to push that first nap out again. Do they sleep longer than 45 mins even when that first nap is later now?

It would be helpful if you could post the last few days for them both in easy format for me so I can see? It really helps.

So wu time for both twins
E
A
S inc what time you pd and how/if any fussing etc to when they actually fall asleep and for how long
Etc all the way to BT and any NW's.

Thanks xx

Offline Swissmrs

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2015, 20:31:33 pm »
Hi. Yes, it sucks. Just when you think everything is magically falling into place.
Well, here we go with the EASY schedule.
Yesterday:
WU: s/6:15, o/7:15
E: 7:30 bottle
    8 solids
A: s/4.5 hrs
   O/3.5 hrs
S: started walk at 10:15
     Both asleep around 10:45
     I woke them at 11:30 (45min)
E: 11:40 bottle
    1:00 solids
A: 4hrs 15 min before actual sleep. Since they've been sleeping longer in the afternoon I didn't want to put them down too late, so...
S: pd at 3
    Both asleep around 3:45-4:45 (1hr)
    They woke up very grumpy.
E: 5:00 bottle
    6:45 solids
    8:15 bedtime bottle
A: 3 hrs 45 min
S: 8:30 with some crying. I had to stay with them 15 min until they fell asleep. This happens very rarely.

Today:
WU: s/6:30, o/7:15
E: 7:30 bottle
    8 solids
A: s/3.5 hrs from wu
    o/3 hrs from wu
S: started walk at 10
    S/10:30 - 11:10 (40min)
    O/10:40- 11:15 (35min)
I woke them up
E: 11:15 bottle
     12:45 solids
A: 3.5 hrs more or less
S: pd at 2:50
    S/fussed for nearly 40min and then we gave up. She would lay down and be quiet and nearly asleep and then wake up crying again. OT?
    O/3:20 - 5:00 (1hr 40min) I woke her up, especially since S didn't sleep at all
E: S/4:00 bottle hoping it would get her to sleep. Didn't help.
    O/5 bottle
    6:30 solids
    8:00 bedtime bottle
A: s/9 hrs from last wu!
    O/3hrs
S: 8:15 fell asleep immediately

It seems there are not enough hours in the day to do everything! After they wake up from the pm nap it's like a mad dash until bedtime. Last week too. They would wake up from the pm nap after 5, so bottle, solids, bottle, bed were all tough to squeeze in.
I know I've got to rework this schedule I just feel at a loss at the moment. Tomorrow I may insist that o wakes up when s wakes up in the morning, just to start us off together.
Anyone have any thoughts?

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2015, 06:30:48 am »
Ok, this does sound like classic 2-1 shenanigans. That second nap well might be UT for them both at 1hr especially as S has started refusing it. That's the exact thing with the 2-1. There's just not enough time to fit everything in to the day.

It would well be that S is OT. She is only getting 10hrs ONS, but if that was the case I would've thought she would've taken that nap albeit a short one.

So, if we keep your current morning ritual with a walk, you could look at waking them both at 30mims now instead of 45. Then try for the second nap slightly earlier at 2.30pm. I would hold this for at least a coupes of days and see if they settle into it. Wdyt? We may need to move that afternoon nap earlier again when we cap more off the morning nap, but I'd just like to see how this goes first ok?

I would also try and move BT slightly earlier if you can too? Perhaps try for asleep by 8pm?? Might even need to be a bit earlier as the second nap will probably end earlier than it did before xx

Offline babybarr

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2015, 16:28:42 pm »
Absolutely wake the sleeping one after say 15mins. The 2-1 is hard enough without having two on different schedules. Personally I would now try pushing the am nap back and fixing it say at 11.30 and then do a mini nap (on the go) in the afternoon. That way if one needs a bit extra they can get it early enough and short enough to allow for bedtime. You may find if they wake early you do a two nap day.
LAURA xx

Offline Swissmrs

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2015, 07:49:09 am »
Well, yesterday's EASY looked like this:
WU: 6:45 (didn't have to wake lil'o, they woke up together)
E: 7:15 bottle
    8:00 solids
A: 3.5 hrs
S: they were so cranky I took them out a little early
     9:50 - began the walk
   10:15 - S falls asleep until 10:45 (30min)
   10:25 - O falls asleep until 10:55 (30min)
Didn't need to wake them. They woke up on their own after 30 min.
E: 11:00 bottle
    12:30 solids
A: 4 hrs plus
S: pd at 2:30
    3:00 - both asleep until 4:00 (1 hr, maybe some barking dogs woke them up. They are such light sleepers during the day. Woke up crying a lot, thought there was a possibility to fall back asleep, but it didn't work)
E: 4:45 bottle
    6:15 solids
A: 4 hrs
S: pd 8:00
    S needed comforting for 10 minutes before falling asleep

I'm going to try the same thing today, so we'll see.
I'm reluctant to go for the 11:30 morning nap because last time I tried to put them in their crib in the morning they screamed bloody murder. Of course it was earlier, around 10. Maybe if I wait longer they won't put up such a fight.
They just learned how to climb onto the couch on their own, so now I'm very busy trying to teach them the "safe way" to get down! It's certainly never boring around here.
Thanks for listening.

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2015, 18:29:41 pm »
Feel for you hun, I remember that early climbing stage. Still puts my heart in my mouth even now watching them like they have no fear  ::)

I would keep those A times for another day as you said and let me know how it goes? I did think they wouldn't fall asleep until 3pm. We might have to shave a little more off that morning nap soon as they can obviously handle long A times after a short nap xx

Offline Swissmrs

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2015, 06:12:47 am »
So, I've been shortening the am nap to 30 minutes and the results have been up and down.
Sometimes the pm nap is 1 hour, sometimes 1 hr 45min.
The morning WU times have been all over the place. Sometimes it's 6:00, then 7:15, the other day S woke up at 5:40. I was able to get her back to sleep and then both girls woke up at 7. Today they woke at 6:15, but my husband settled them back down until 7:45!
What's going on?
It seems they need at least 4 hours of A time. When I put them down earlier it takes forever to get to sleep. When they wake at 6, the schedule all falls into place. We go for a walk at 10, they fall asleep at 10:15, etc. but when they wake at 7, the whole schedule gets pushed back and the pm nap gets really late and then it's hard to fit everything in before BT at 8.
What do I do now?
I'm feeling really confused.
Maybe today I'll skip the morning nap all together since the woke up so late. Or I'll take them for a walk if they start getting cranky just to see what happens. But do I continue to cap the nap time?
Should the pm nap eventually end up at about 2:00?
What is the final goal of the one nap a day plan?