Author Topic: 10 month old twins won't nap!  (Read 3731 times)

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
Re: 10 month old twins won't nap!
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2015, 06:54:34 am »
I would go for a one nap day today hun if you can. Push them to 4hrs 15mins if you can, perhaps even 4hrs 30 after that near 12-hr night sleep as they might be able to go longer? Put them down in their cot and let them sleep as long as possible. If nap is around 2hrs, aim for BT at 7.30, if shorter bring BT (asleep by) closer to 7.

This is where it all gets a bit tricksy during the transition hun. I used to have a rule that if DD woke before 6am, we'd do a 2 nap day, like you've been doing so far. Perhaps even shorten the first nap more to 15/20mins. When she woke late, I did a one nap day and EBT dependant on nap length. I didn't go too early as I knew mine would never do a 12-hr night, but it definitely looks like yours could do, so don't be afraid of it ok? If they wake earlier the next morning, just do your two nap day. Unfortunately it swings between the two for a little while until you can get them on one nap fully.

How does that sound? Xx

Offline Swissmrs

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2015, 08:13:59 am »
This makes sense. Except, what do I do about lunchtime?
If they slept until 7:45, I would put them in bed around 12/12:15.
So, lunch comes whenever they wake up?
They usually eat around 12:30 or 1.
This ealso means they will have their bottle right before taking a nap.
I am really interested to see what happens today!
Thank you.

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2015, 18:42:41 pm »
How did it go hun? I would've done lunch earlier to keep them entertained  ;). Xx

Offline babybarr

• Showing Appreciation 224
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2015, 05:33:52 am »
We do lunch at 11ish and then snack when they wake after nap.
LAURA xx

Offline Swissmrs

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2015, 10:37:08 am »
So, we've been attempting just 1 nap a day.
This has been our EASY for the past few days:
WU: S cries at 5/5:30, but we go in and get her back to sleep until 7:30
        O cries at about 6/6:15 and we get her back to sleep until 7:30.
E: 8:00 bottle
     8:45 solids
A: 4-4.5 hours
S:  11:30/12 for a few days they only slept an hour, yesterday it was 1.5 hours
E: yesterday they had a bottle before the nap, but other days it was either skipped or came after with solid lunch at 1 or 2 depending on when they woke up
A:
S: no pm nap (yesterday I took them for a walk at 5:30 but they did not sleep at all
E: 5:00 bottle
     6:30/6:45 solids
A: 7 hrs
S: 8:00 BT. I've had to stay in the room to soothe them ( more S than O)  for about 10 minutes. This is highly unusual for us! I have always put them down awake and left the room without any problems.  They also get really hyper before bed.
For some reason we can't seem to get them in bed earlier.
So, my question is really about why we have started having these EW's. Should I put more effort into getting into bed earlier? Like 7:00? The past couple nights S has cried out at 12:30/1 am and needs a little shushing back to sleep. This has never happened before. Should I go back to the 20/30 min am nap with a longer one in the pm?
By the way, O took her first few steps yesterday! And their first birthday is coming up! We've had a lot of house guests with more to come, so it has been pretty exciting around here.
What do you think our next step should be with the nap situation?

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2015, 16:37:09 pm »
I would say that's far too long of an A to BT hun. You'll also have a big developmental leap around 1yo which either causes them to sleep more or less for a week or two  :-\

I would keep to a 12-hr day at absolute max on a1.5hr nap hun. Perhaps even 11.5hr. OT could have definitely started to kick in too.

Ok if the wu isn't too bad and they're going back to sleep, do you want to power through with the one nap or do an odd 2 nap day to keep the OT at bay?

Personally I would power through but my DD dealt with OT well, it seems like yours is too? I know it's a pain with the EW, but they are going back to sleep.

I would push out that first nap again. An hour could definitely be indicative of an UT nap. How about tryin for a nap closer to 4hrs 45mins? I would hold that for a week and bring BT much closer to 12hrs after wu.

So for example.

Wu 7,30
A 4hrs 45
S 12.15-1.45 (or more hopefully)
A 5 hrs 15mins
BT 7

If the nap is longer than 1.5hrs you may be able to push BT back a bit?

If you wanted to do the catch up nap, I would try a quick car nap or buggy nap at 11am for 15mims then do nap at 1.15 and hope for a 1.5hr nap which should get you close to your usual BT at 8pm. I would probably only do this the once for now though as it looks like they're starting to get used to the one nap routine, it just needs to be placed better in the day xx

Offline -Maya-

• Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2015, 21:08:26 pm »
I am not a twins mother but I have a bad napper so I hope my 2 cents can help you.
For us it was always easier to have a long morning nap than a long afternoon nap. With long morning nap there are less variables to keep in mind especially if the girls sleep well during night. Planning second nap of the day means to take into account how first nap went, then recalculate second A time according to first nap... Imho much easier with first one. Actually I was brave enough by shortening first nap only when there was no other option due to family life.

Offline babybarr

• Showing Appreciation 224
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2015, 20:20:56 pm »
I have to say I agree with Maya. We would have the prob they would short nap then refuse to nap later. I found it easier knowing they'd had a Good nap rather than risking two rubbish naps or one short one. Also if they'd had a short nap they'd often have a catnap in the car or buggy or I'd just do an early bedtime. Hth
LAURA xx