Author Topic: Too overstimulated?  (Read 1984 times)

Offline Chloevalentine

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« on: July 28, 2015, 19:47:11 pm »
I find that with my 2 year old if we are just free playing together ( playing cars or doing chalkboard or ball) after a while he gets wired and starts throwing things etc. I have to stop playing and maybe put on some nursery rhymes on the tv just to get him to calm down a bit. Is this normal? Any other suggestions? It's too hot outside to play and he's not very interested inncoloring or play dough just yet. Thanks

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
Re: Too overstimulated?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 20:19:45 pm »
Water play?

Is he getting excited and trying to use up energy, or getting ott and out of control?
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 20:35:23 pm »
Sounds like if you can't be outside that he is just showing he needs to use his muscles more. I found when my boys were younger & it was summer & so too hot to be out in the middle of the day, we'd go out for a walk before breakfast.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 00:02:43 am »
Yes we do water play inside and out and usually in Morning before it's too hot. We also take a Gymboree class so I'm not sure that he needs more exercise??

Offline Katet

• Sydney Australia
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 05:59:45 am »
A 2yo should really be active all day, exploring, jumping etc, a class is ok, but it is actually not the kind of physical activity that children necessarily need, they need to be able to toss things (socks in a bucket if inside) & boys even more so in many cases, although yesterday with my friend who has a 4yo boy & 2yo DD, it's the DD who is off exploring everywhere. 2yo really aren't made to sit still & play for in one position, they really are developmentally meant to be moving all the time.

One of the reasons that TV might seem to calm is that  as it engages one part of the brain that pretty much blocks off the stimulation to other parts of the brain, you'd probably find that if you changed to an activity like throwing socks in a basket or crawling under & over chairs that you'd also get an improvement in his ability to cope too.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 06:09:16 am by Katet »
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 06:20:35 am »
I'm not sure boys can ever have too much exercise  ;). They need to move!!

Boredom is another factor isn't it??

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 11:04:20 am »
Yes I agree with the moving and exploring for sure. He loves to explore the garden with his daddy at night looking for frogs picking veggies. I find that it's not really the physical stuff with him necessarily. We have a swing set in the yard and he rarely plays on it! If I bring him to playground he doesn't do much and wants to go back to the car. It's odd lol. I try to provide things activities for him to do but I also look for his cues as to what he's interested in but it's hard sometimes always feeling like I'm setting up an activity yk?

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 13:22:33 pm »
They have really short attention spans as well don't they?

He may just be throwing cars because it is fun to throw cars as well  ;). Toddlers are just like that.

I think they often don't play much on swings etc until older. Up until quite recently my DD would always want me in the garden playing with her, but now she is 5 she will wander off and sit on the swing for ages. It is waiting for their confidence to develop to play away from us isn't it? My almost 7 year old happily plays upstairs in his room, but again my 5 year old DD less so. Perhaps the park is just a bit outside his comfort zone.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 17:44:56 pm »
I think you are right but I feel limited as to places to take him to burn off some steam or explore! And there are only so many activities we can do at home. He will help at counter preparing meals which is really just him making a mess for me to clean lol he also likes to do laundry lol and play in the bathroom sink and try on my shoes look at the cars in the driveway water plants etc

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 18:23:54 pm »
Sounds like you are giving him some great opportunities for age appropriate play  :-*. All stages have their frustrating bits (like the throwing).

My DS loved a mud tray at that age with all his tractors in. Or lentils if indoors. Sensory play is often the longest.

Offline Katet

• Sydney Australia
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 20:23:00 pm »
Yes a lentil or pasta tray or flour was always something DS1 loved to do lots of.

Have you tried taking him swimming, both my boys loved playing in the water, we are lucky to have a number of pools that have a "beach" like area & I could sit in the shallow while they walked around in the water & I'd get some exercise walking them through the deeper water.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 01:06:56 am »
Thanks for the ideas! Yes we do belong to a lake and I take him but he'd rather walk the grounds there and explore which we do or sometimes he just walks me back to the car just like he does at the playground it's odd! He also gets a bit frustrated as he likes to go out as far as he can with only his head above water and gives me trouble with holding my hand so sometimes it's just a screaming match and I have to take him out of the water! 2 is def a bit trying at times ha!