Author Topic: 6 month old napping short  (Read 1164 times)

Offline Mel221

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 02, 2015, 12:41:35 pm »
Hi,
I would like some advice on getting my 6 month old to nap longer than 30-40 minutes. He currently sleeps from 630-630 waking once in the night occasionally twice. The past two nights he has been sleeping til 5am (fingers crossed) feeding and going back down til 630. I have been playing with his A time for a while now and feel that no matter what time I put him down from waking in the morning I can hardly get him to sleep longer then 30-40 minutes with the once off 1h15m.

I've tried keeping him awake anywhere from 1h to 2h before his first nap this morning he went down 1hour after waking as he was showing tired signs and slept for 40mins I left him for another 30 and he looked around looked as if he was trying to go back to sleep but couldn't quite get there. I was putting him down 1h40m from waking and he woke after 30mins appeared to be trying to go back to sleep but was unable.

I know he can get himself back to sleep because he can do it for his second nap of the day waking at 30mins and going back to sleep within 10mins or if I go in and physically rock him in the chair shush/pat won't work.

I feel he gets quite whingy I'm guessing from the short nap but I don't know if I should be going with a longer or shorter awake time he generally shows tired signs an hour after waking in the morning. How long should I try with his awake time before deciding its not right and changing it?

Offline anna*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: 6 month old napping short
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 12:47:18 pm »
Hi there, welcome to the boards ;D
He needs more A time :) 1.5-2hrs is more suitable for a baby of 3-4 months, at 6 months he probably needs a good 3hrs A time to do a decent nap. Have a look here: Average A times- BOOKMARK ME!
At this age, tired signs are less reliable - babies can get used to looking tired at a particular time, but they're not tired enough to do a good nap. It can also mean they just need a change of scene. We'd usually advise to try a new A time for 3-4 days and then judge whether it has made an improvement. If a big difference in A time is required, you'd add 10-15 minutes, then stick with that time for a couple of days, then add another 10-15 mins etc, so as to avoid over tiredness.

Offline Mel221

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 12:53:01 pm »
Ok thank you will give it a go tomorrow and see how we go.

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 12:58:58 pm »
:) let us know how you get on

Offline Mel221

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 13:35:24 pm »
Sorry I'm not sure how this would go because he currently feeds 3 1/2hourly throughout the day but his awake time should be 3 hours?

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 13:44:10 pm »
You could do a small top up feed before a nap?

Offline Mel221

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 14:48:36 pm »
Ok will see how we go.

Could people please post their typical day with a 6 month old so I can see what others do thanks.

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 14:59:03 pm »
I hope people will chime in but in the meantime you can also have a look here: chronological EASY samples, 4-6 months

Offline Mel221

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 15:04:25 pm »
Thanks for the link  :)

Offline Mel221

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 23:35:24 pm »
Could people still add their days to here please would be greatly appreciated  :)