Author Topic: After WI/WO?  (Read 665 times)

Offline sleepy33

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 02, 2015, 17:52:32 pm »
Hello. I'm having some trouble with my 20 month old son. I have used the BW methods with great success, and I'm wondering what might be the next step for us. A few months ago, I used the WI/WO method to finally move on from baby falling asleep in the crib with me standing by and rubbing back/singing. After a few days of WI/WO, there was no more crying when I left the room, and he would generally lie peacefully in his crib and drift off to sleep. The last few weeks, we've hit some roadblocks. He's become more and more rambunctious during wind down, not wanting to be held, not having much patience for books, so I'm putting him in the crib with far more energy on his part. At first, he would still usually lie in bed, chatting a bit, and eventually falling asleep. Now, though, he stands up, and either cry-whines, or chucks everything out of his crib and then cries. I walk in, lay him back down and/or replace thrown items, and walk out. He will lie still and quiet for a bit, sometimes even for 10 minutes or so and I think he's out, but then pops back up again to play or cry. I may go in and out 5-10 times for over an hour before he gives up and passes out.

I've tried being a bit stern when I go in, saying you need to lie down right now, in a stern tone so that he knows mommy is not amused/it's not a game. I've tried letting him fuss a bit, but it just seems to escalate him more. His current schedule:
6-7 am wakeup
7:30 leave for daycare
8 breakfast
11:30 lunch
12:30-2:30 nap
6:00 dinner
6:30 bath
7:00-7:30 attempt at winddown/read books/bed

Should I move bedtime later by an hour? Ideal wakeup time would be 6:30-7 am. Anything else I should try?

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: After WI/WO?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 02:45:57 am »
Hi there! Just a couple of questions - before he started the bedtime stuff what time was he falling asleep at? (Ie how many hours were a typical night). Is he doing the same stuff before naptime too? A 2 hr nap is prety average for this age but I wonder does he need some more rambunctious playtime to wear him out? My 22 month old spends loads of time outdoors and at the park to get her good an tired for bed! She is lower for sleep needs though, where would you say your lo fits - lower, average or higher for sleep? Of course it could all just be a developmental blip too and generally speaking the best course there is to carry on as usual and ride it out.
Heidi