Author Topic: Home from vacation have to get back to routine  (Read 3254 times)

Offline Chloevalentine

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 6
Home from vacation have to get back to routine
« on: July 04, 2015, 19:11:52 pm »
We are back from a week long vacation where we rented a beach house with family. There wasn't much relaxing happening on a vacation with a two year old! Lol. His naps were already few and far between at home before hand. He did take a few naps of which he woke after 45 mins crying. He slept through the night ok as he normally does at home but was up a bit earlier in mornings. He was so overstimulated the entire week and was pretty cranky and fussy. It was truly exhausting. Now that we are home I'm hopeful to get back on track. Today he went down for nap easily when we arrived home but woke again after 45 mins crying. I'm assuming he's just ot at this point. He was up today at 630 and napped from 1230-115. What time should I put him to bed tonight?

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
Re: Home from vacation have to get back to routine
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 11:02:34 am »
I put him down at 7 and he was asleep by 725. He was so wired beforehand! But we had an ew at 545! Yikes. He did lay there for a while and fell back for a bit.  It's got to be just an ot build up no?

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 16:54:05 pm »
Probably is ot, I would just go by his cues for a bit to let him catch up...maybe an early nap and don't cap it so he can catch up.
Heidi

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 17:12:37 pm »
Thanks :) I put him down at 1 and he didn't cry or fuss which is what he was doing before vacation which is good. Just hope he doesn't wake in 45 mins crying which is what's been happening. What bedtime should I aim for? When I did 7/730 last night I got the ew today.

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 18:08:36 pm »
Kind of hard to know really, depends on the nap and how he is in himself. If he is losing the plot I would go earlier and work on getting back on track to the old routine once he is caught up.
Heidi

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 20:39:03 pm »
Ok :) he slept 1.5!! Woke crying for a second but fell back and woke at 230. Going to try for 730 bedtime. Why do you get an EW?

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 10:46:27 am »
He went in at 730 was asleep by 8 and awake today around 640. Looks like he will only do 12hours total 1.5 nap 10.5 at night. He was so wired last night before bed! He's never like that. I was surprised that it didn't take him even longer to fall asleep. He's having such a hard time winding down lately. Must still be from vacation.

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 01:12:58 am »
Yeah we max out at 12 hrs total sleep too! My kids are always goofy before bed, and not for any reason I can figure out!
Heidi

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 02:14:27 am »
Crazy goofy! And a bit of crying too. He was up around 645 today which is still a bit early for him he did nap from 120-250 I woke him at 1.5 and he went into crib at 8 asleep by 825. He cried a little at nap time but not too bad and was fine going in at night. Although he's not too interested in reading his books before these days. Think he's just tired and wants to get into crib. It was almost a 14 hour day which is a bit long for him.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 17:39:20 pm »
As odd as it seams, I'm finding that when lo goes into crib at 8 he's asleep by 825/30 and has been sleeping until 730 (today I woke him) and that he goes down easier for nap at 1 as opposed to when he has a longer A time in the morning ?

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2015, 13:43:22 pm »
Some kids do like a shorter A time in the am, I would run with it until it stops working!
Heidi

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2015, 18:13:34 pm »
Today he woke after 35 mins or so from nap. I can't figure out why.

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2015, 05:04:45 am »
Honestly by this age it sometimes is a case of just go with the flow until the nap is gone and trying to figure out why he sleeps or doesn't will just drive you crazy! The thing to remember is that our job is to set up the environment as best as possible for sleep to happen, but ultimately the sleep part is 100% in their control. Sometimes the ot/ut/os stuff is simple to figure out and tweak and sometimes it just isn't! We had a 5 day stretch of no naps and as an experiment I had DD3 nap for 30 min today - resulted in a 9 pm bedtime and I bet we will get an ew too...but at least I know for sure she does not need that nap ;).
Heidi

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2015, 10:40:09 am »
It's just that he was doing so well with 1.5 naps and a 13/13.5 day. I ended up doing bedtime at 730 instead of 8 and he usually will make up the difference in sleeping 12 hours instead of 11 so we will see. :) thank you

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2015, 00:55:49 am »
Yikes three days in a row he doesn't fall asleep until 845/9 pm! Which is very late for him. But then he's sleeping until 745 the next morning! Nap is good 1-230 but I'm thinking he needs more A time before bed hence the 845 bedtime. I think I'd better wake him by 7/730 tomorrow morning.