Author Topic: How long are your NND?  (Read 1443 times)

Offline Lindsay27

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 78
How long are your NND?
« on: July 05, 2015, 00:00:05 am »
So BTs have been horrendous in this house for a long while and I know we've needed to make the plunge to no naps.  We haven't thus far for 2 reasons - the first, he still consistently naps at pre-school and their 'rest' time there is mandatory (though I have asked them to cut it back), and secondly, during my first trimester I was so exhausted myself I was desperately needing a nap mid-day on the weekends just to keep up.  So now that I'm feeling more like my normal self, we went for the no-nap plunge today.

So my main question is how long is your LOs NND?

This morning DS woke at 8am (this is HIGHLY unusual and the only reason he slept so late was because he's had a few really REALLY late nights this week due to Canada Day festivites and a family dinner).  I would say a normal wake up is in the realm of 6:30/7am.  He did really well all day, but we did keep him pretty busy as the weather was fa :)  He had a brief period at 5pm where you could tell it was catching up with him and he actually asked to go have a rest, bless him!  He laid on the couch and watched a 30min TV show so that helped.  He was in the bath for 6pm and in bed at 7pm, but then had a 20min meltdown.  After that however he was out like a light by 7:30 (praise Jesus!!! These days with a nap we're lucky if he's asleep by 9:30pm).

So all in all a decent day.  No real complaints other than I'm a little tired myself  ;)

What does your NND look like?  I'm worried about a bit of OT catching up with him, especially as he is VERY prone to EWs.  This child did not wake past 5:30am until he was 2 despite every tweak imaginable.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
Re: How long are your NND?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 16:57:25 pm »
We have 12-13 hour NND's...yesterday was almost 14 hrs unintentionally, and luckily only resulted in a brief nw at 1:30 and tbh I am not sure if she was awake at all, just moaning and quieted with a bit of shh/pat (yes lol still works at almost 2!).  On friday she had one 15 min nap at 5 pm and that resulted in being up at 6 am after only 9.5 hours of sleep.
Heidi

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 20:47:50 pm »
He ended up having a pretty long NW last night...1.5hrs that started at 11pm.  When he naps he always STTN, so I'm wondering if that was OT?  He was completely out of it during the NW, not really coherent at all but was tossing and turning constantly and just couldn't seem to fall back asleep.  I actually ended up bringing him in bed with me at he slept until 7:45am.

We were at the beach allllll day today, it's 4:45pm and he's starting to melt down.  I think we'll aim for another 7/7:30pm BT and see how the night goes.

Offline TB9

• Showing Appreciation 60
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 21:12:13 pm »
No nap days are usually 11-12hrs long here  :)

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 22:50:22 pm »
No nap days are usually 11-12hrs long here 
Great, I think this is what we are going to try to aim for too.  He's exhausted tonight from being in the sun all day, so hopefully he'll just knock out and stay that way!

I'm finding it so amazing to have evenings back again, but unfortunately given the nap situation at preschool I can expect the same mucking around Mon-Fri.  I think I need to have another talk with them about cutting the nap way back.

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 23:17:01 pm »
Good luck with that, we are lucky our daycare does what we ask (they have a big note now to only let DD3 nap if I specifically request it!).  Fx he has a good night tonight, all the time outside should help (we are slowly going crazy stuck indoors due to poor air quality from smoke!).
Heidi

Offline TB9

• Showing Appreciation 60
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 01:00:10 am »
DD usually only gets a 30min nap every other day right now.  Sometimes I allow 40min :)  Bedtime is 8pm on nap days and she is usually asleep by 8:30 without me having to go in and spend too much time with her.  I'm sure her if I let her sleep longer for nap, she would easily be awake until 10pm.  Hopefully daycare listens!

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 13:36:02 pm »
Ugh, so another NW last night.  I am wondering if making the jump to no-nap is just a little too much, and maybe he should be getting a CN just to get him through?  Like I said, he always STTN so the fact that he's had 2 NWs on NND makes me think it's OT, which he's prone to.

(we are slowly going crazy stuck indoors due to poor air quality from smoke!)
I've been reading it all over the news...sounds like everyone there is really battling.  Hopefully you guys get some relief soon!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 14:14:51 pm by Lindsay27 »

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 01:18:42 am »
Well as I keep telling the kids - smoke in the air sucks but we are not being displaced from our home!

Hmm that does seem ot then if it coincides with the nnd. Might be worth a try for a catnap.

Lol just realized our kids are 14 months apart and we are done with naps already! Sure goes to show how different these lo's can be!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 01:20:21 am by MasynSpencerElliotte »
Heidi

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 13:21:00 pm »
Lol just realized our kids are 14 months apart and we are done with naps already! Sure goes to show how different these lo's can be!
Ben had a brief period around 2 where we thought the nap was over, but he did pick it back up again.

So, last night was night #4 with a NW! What the heck is going on!? I think it's just a habit now and he wants mommy to come and cuddle with him...I think he's trying to prepare me for baby #2.  Mommy is pregnant and wants to sleep! LOL :P  It was also day 2 of being back at preschool and therefore having a nap, so the bedtime antics were out in full force, ugh.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 15:28:09 pm »
Our NND are 12.5/13 hours long and gets us a 11/11.5 hour night but that's after 6 months of nap dropping!! It was pants to start with but 20 mins CN is all DS is allowed now if he naps and that doesn't affect much x
Zoe

Offline clazzat

• Showing Appreciation 286
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2015, 19:08:51 pm »
We dropped the nap about a month ago and our day is about 11 hours long - wake 6.45ish, aiming for bed at 5.45 (although realistically it is normally nearer 6) and he goes out like a light.  We have a couple of days when I can't get him to bed before 6.30 and he is always really restless and we have more NWs.  I would think from what you have said that your lo might be OT - can you get him to bed earlier while he gets used to one nap?

And my lo is over 4 and we have just dropped the nap...

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2015, 19:42:44 pm »
I would think from what you have said that your lo might be OT - can you get him to bed earlier while he gets used to one nap?
I think OT too - I can likely do earlier BT on NND on the weekends.  I guess the battle I'm facing is that the weekends will likely be no-nap, but Mon-Fri he'll have a nap at preschool.  So it's like I'm trying to figure out which days he's OT, which days he's UT...ugh.  I wish we could just drop it altogether and be done with it, at least then I'd know!

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2015, 13:12:55 pm »
He STTN!  Praise Jesus lol.

And, not to much mucking around either :D  In bed at 8 (nap day) and I only had to go up once.  At around 8:30 I heard him singing to himself "2 little monkeys jumping on the bed..." lol and he drifted off not long after that.

Definitely going to be some give and take between naps/no naps...such is every nap transition I suppose :)