Author Topic: change in 6 mo old mood, what am I doing wrong?  (Read 2387 times)

Offline ele

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
change in 6 mo old mood, what am I doing wrong?
« on: July 07, 2015, 19:23:36 pm »
My dd is just 6 mos old. She started getting very cranky during wake time. When she is on her back  she can play for a good time with her birds (every time happy to see them), then she turns on her tummy and here it comes... she whimpers and whines and cries.... she touches one toy, sucks on it, grabs another, goes around and whines and whines....

She has enough toys I think and I give her some kitchen things, sing, talk all the time, we play every now and then, try to sit up, look at books etc... I think I entertain her but I can't be engaged with her every second....

What am I doing wrong? She was a happy child until she was four,  then turning to tummy came and teething, so she became a whiner, but she is more a whiner  now.

She is not grumpy, if I sing or come over she smiles, but if I am a bit late she would cry and need comforting. Did I get her used to expect mommy all the time or is she bored that quickly.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: change in 6 mo old mood, what am I doing wrong?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 20:38:47 pm »
Sorry you didn't get any replies yet.

It's possible she's just less comfortable on her tummy so the whining starts. Not all LOs find it comfortable to be that way around, although it's good for them to build muscle so it's about finding a balance I think.
Could also be that because of her age she is having developmental leaps which can lead to some separation anxiety, teething too can put a bit of SA her way. It will pass.
I wouldn't worry about her expecting Mummy all the time, it takes time to learn to play independently, she might manage a few more minutes if you talk to her whilst you are doing other things, describe what you are doing etc.

Whining can really grate on the ears, if you are finding it grating maybe try to re frame it as chatter and her early attempts to communicate.  I find it the negative-sounding tone that bothers me but re-framing can help.

Offline ele

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 14:28:09 pm »
Could somebody share, what kind of A time during the day (a day of A) for a six month old (about 2:30 A time) they usually have?
Thank you

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 14:52:35 pm »
There are some lists and activity routines listed here as examples if that helps?
Activity and toy ideas for 6-9mths

At 6 months mine seemed to spend most of his day eating!  A solids meal (BLW) took 45 mins to an hour so by the time he'd had a milk feed and a little play then I prepared solids food he spent most of the rest of the time picking it up and getting it to his mouth.
When he wasn't eating he loved to be read books and look at pictures together. He liked kicking at his play gym where he lay on his back but kicked the toys above him which made music when kicked.

Offline ele

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 16:46:06 pm »
Thank you. I didn't get notification for this so I only see this now.

No my daughter would not kick calmly on her back, she was a happy camper until abt 5 mos when she did only that.

She turns to tummy and now also crawls (or creeps). I give her different toys but if I walk away for 10-15 minutes she starts moaning (I don't know what is the exact word to that sound she makes), makes crying grimaces, so I can't even cook her anything , for example, without her being impatient and making me come back. Talking to her from some distance  would not help. When we play or read books TOGETHER she is fine.... Is this just a developmental stage? I guess I should be able to do at least some things while she is awake?

Also I feel super guilty whatever I do about her going out in the park. She is now crawling and trying to sit, so she needs exercise, when we go to the park she is in the stroller and is confined. But she needs fresh air too. So I go back and forth between what is best and how to ensure her development is not curbed by me, often times we do 1hr park, 1hr at home, but it's running up 5 flights of stairs with her, stroller so many times. I would appreciate if someone helped me frame this obsessive worry.

Also what people do in the park with, now, 7 month old? We go to swing, touch water fountains in the kids park, touch trees etc, but it's too little for 1 hr in the park. We did picnic before she started crawling, but now we can't, where we are they spray chemicals on the grass.

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 18:24:54 pm »
Is this just a developmental stage? I guess I should be able to do at least some things while she is awake?
It is a developmental stage. It is quite normal for LOs to feel SA (separation anxiety) and less ability to entertain themselves happily when a development is taking place. If she is commando crawling or creeping she has greater ability to get places...this means she is in greater 'danger' (from crawling off cliff edges, not that you have those in your home but you see the logic?) so actually her desire to want to be close to you is an amazing self preservation technique.
For this period you may need to stay pretty close and reassure verbally when you really have to go some distance.  If you need to prep food I would take her to the kitchen, tell her what you are doing, give her a few safe kitchen items to play with (wooden spoon, measuring spoons, balloon whisk...).  Remember that you responding to her will give her greater confidence and so help the SA pass, also remember that these moans are not full on crying, she is calling out to you like talking and can hear you talking back.

Can you take a picnic blanket for her to crawl on in the park? Encourage her to stay on the mat with a ball or other small toy?

Wow you must be fit going up 5 flights with baby and stroller!  I only live 1.5 flights up and only took the stroller out a handful of times - I preferred to use the sling.

Offline ele

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 15:59:17 pm »
I see, thank you.
Yes, this running up/down and her good appetite, slimmed me down a lot. It is good, but I would not mind to have a bit less ambitious regimen :)

Offline ele

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2015, 00:17:29 am »
I am just posting here an update for other moms who might be worrying at a similar baby age.

This is a transient fussiness, most likely explained by being on a tummy permanently (as a new developmental stage) but yet not at ease with the lack of mobility (so much fun on the back with all the toys they can play using both hands and both legs). It might be a good idea to change toys in front of baby every few minutes, as he gets fussy and put him somewhere closer to you so he feels included even more so, may be give him more mommy-toy-time as he gets through this tough time. As baby starts moving around this fussiness just stops.

Sleep and foods can make a baby fussy a little too, but that lasts shorter period and can be fixed quicker.

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2015, 06:44:25 am »
Thanks for taking the time to update and for sharing your tips :)