Author Topic: Breastfeeding and nightwakings  (Read 1716 times)

Offline AshleyH6

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 08, 2015, 13:35:42 pm »
Hello,
My 17 week old has been waking twice at night for a while now, usually between 12 and 1 then again 4-5. His last meal before bed is around 6:30-7:00.
At the first waking, he eats without problem in a quick 10 minutes and goes right back to sleep. The second waking is what has me confused. He will latch on and eat for a minute or two then fall asleep. If I try to put him back in his bed, he cries and will not go back to sleep. I pick him up again and feed him but have to keep tickling, tapping, and anything else to keep him awake to finish eating, which can take up to 30 minutes.
What is he doing? Is he really hungry? Is there anything I can do to change this?

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: Breastfeeding and nightwakings
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 01:37:40 am »
I'd say its likely he is hungry. Have you tried changing his nappy before the feed to wake him up a little more?

Offline AshleyH6

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 17:01:28 pm »
No, I haven't changed his diaper at night in a very long time. He is very awake when he starts eating. Last night was very different though. He woke up crying hysterically 4 times and seemingly starving. He ate a full meal all four times then kept sleeping almost an hour and a half after his normal wake up time. I suppose this is due to either the 4 month sleep regression or a growth spurt. Not sure which, but since he's 4 months today, it's right on time, haha.

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: Breastfeeding and nightwakings
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 20:06:38 pm »
I wonder if your letdown is a bit longer/flow is higher at that time of the morning and he just doesn't have to make much effort so falls asleep...

That is a good guess - GS. Nights a pretty good, presume routine's now got A time close to 2hr?

Offline AshleyH6

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 21:21:52 pm »
Not sure, maybe it was just a momentary issue. Things always change fast!
Yes, A times are close to 2 hours now. He is getting much better at naps now too, usually sleeping at least an hour, sometimes up to 2 hours! The hard part is getting him to sleep. He has rejected self-soothing lately.