Author Topic: wind down routine for nap time  (Read 747 times)

Offline mommytogabriel

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 08, 2015, 15:54:51 pm »
Hi everyone:)
I was hoping that someone would share what their wind down routine to get their toddler to nap during the day is? Mine routine for my 20 month old doesnt seem to be working anymore. ( I would close blackout curtains in the living room, cuddle with bottle for 15 min, sleepsac, rock for 2 min and bed)

Offline bloosiern

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 16:28:53 pm »
My LO is 2.5yrs.

First, I turn the lamp on (which is dimmer than the main light - less stimulation) and turn her fan on.  Then I lay her down to change her diaper.  She gets to pick a book to read and then we sit in the rocking chair and read the book while she snuggles her blankies.  After reading, I turn out the light and she climbs into her toddler bed.  I cover her up and give her a kiss and tell her I will come get her when it's time to get up.

It seems that every day she wants to bring some random toy or other item, today it was a pair of sunglasses, with her to her bedroom.  I used to tell her she couldn't and it was a battle.  I realized it wasn't a big deal as long as it didn't go into the bed with her so I placed a short stool next to her bed and now she just puts it there so it can "wait there" until she wakes up:)

I should add that 2 days per week when I'm at work my husband, mom or MIL puts her down and they do things about the same but don't read a book.  She seems to always wind down better with them for some reason:)

Are there any specific issues you are having?
Lisa

Offline mommytogabriel

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 16:50:02 pm »
My issue is that he will not have the bottle for much longer....and it soothes him very well. I definitely cant just rock him for a couple minutes and expect him to sleep.
On the flip side, he does very very well with consistent routines.. thrives on it. Its just that now I have to figure out a new one.

Offline bloosiern

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 01:20:52 am »
It's so much harder when they're older to get rid of that bottle:)  My ODD was 15 months but my YDD was about the same age as your LO when we got rid of it.  YDD was so attached to it and had taken to sippie cups long before then but refused to drink from it at BT.  To be honest, most sippie cups are difficult to suck out of compared to a bottle...it was ok when she just wanted to sip slowly with meals but at BT she didn't mess around and wanted to suck it down quick.  We realized that was her main issue so we bought some sippie cups that had a silicone spout and a faster flow.  Not sure if it would be the same with your LO but it's a little BTDT just in case.

Both my LO's thrive on routines as well.  When my ODD was about 3, my mom was reading her a book before her nap and she told my mom that she needed to sit on her other leg because that's how mommy does it:)

Good luck, hope it goes well for you!
Lisa

Offline Chloevalentine

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 02:50:20 am »
My lo always has lunch first and then right upstairs into dark room for diaper change and into crib. We do play some music at the end of lunch that kind of cues nap time lol. My lo also thrives on routine and won't nap anywhere but home in his crib after lunch so it can be s double edged sword :)