Author Topic: Will NOT go to sleep at night!  (Read 718 times)

Offline Barefootmomma09

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 12, 2015, 05:51:59 am »
My LO is 4 weeks old, and is having major issues going, and staying asleep at night. His sleeping and general schedule are great during the day, but when we put him down for bed he can not seem to settle and stay asleep. As soon as I stop nursing him he starts squirming, and NEEDS a pacifier or boob in his mouth or he is crying and squirming and rooting around mouth open searching for something to suck on. Sometimes it takes a half an hour for him to settle and stay asleep, and sometimes (like tonight) it's 3-4 hours! Then, like a switch, he will suddenly relax and go to sleep and stay that way for a good 5-7 hour stretch. I do NOT understand what is going on with him. He is on reflux meds, I don't eat dairy, and he goes to sleep in 5 minutes and is sound asleep until I wake him for all of his naps during the day. Much of the time, he is difficult to keep awake between naps. Today's schedule looked like this:

Wake - 6:00
Sleep - 7:20
Wake - 10:00
Sleep - 11:20
Wake - 1:30
Sleep - 2:45
Wake - 4:45
Bed - 6:30 - He initially slept for 30 minutes and when he woke he couldn't go back to sleep for hours. He finally stayed asleep at 10 tonight

In general, once he goes to sleep, he wakes again between 1 and 4, and sometimes has some trouble staying asleep some nights after that feed. He is usually up for the day around 6-6:30, sometimes a little before 6.

Besides the longer A time right before bed, what am I doing wrong? This is baby #4 for me, each successfully babywhisperered.

Offline anna*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: Will NOT go to sleep at night!
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 08:57:02 am »
I think that at this age it is really normal to have an unsettled evening with on/off napping/cluster feeding before finally crashing out and staying asleep. I know mine weren't going to bed at 6.30/7pm until closer to 11/12 weeks old.

Offline C&B&E

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 09:14:33 am »
To me it sounds like either just age (he is still so little, and it is perfectly normal for them to be all over the place at this age) or that he is in some discomfort.  Is his reflux definitely under control? 
Claire x

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 15:15:49 pm »
Is he cluster feeding before bed as opposed to normal spaced out feeds during the day? I know some LOs do that and if so he may be taking in more milk and/or air than he can handle and has to get it sorted out before he can fall asleep causing the wriggling and unsettledness. Just a thought. If not, I am not sure other than that he's so little it's just taking him some time to sort things out. Also, that last stretch from 4:45 to 6:30 is a bit on the long side for being awake and perhaps he would like a shorter A time at the end of his day?