Author Topic: Early waking really starting to get me down  (Read 1375 times)

Offline Peps1234

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Early waking really starting to get me down
« on: July 10, 2015, 06:11:09 am »
Hi all, my son is 5 and a half months and we've been doing EASY since he was born. This is roughly a typical EASY day at the moment...

4-5am wake up
5.30-6.30ish - fall asleep again
6.30 - eat
8-10 - nap (sometimes 1.5 hours)
10.30 - eat
12-12.30 - cat nap
2-2.30 - cat nap
2.30 - eat
3-5 - nap
6 - start bedtime routine, bath etc
6.30 - eat
7pm - asleep

You might look at that and think it odd in places, I'll explain a couple of things:
- if I want to go out I always go after his 10.30 feed. He's so interested in his surroundings when we're out and about that I can only get a catnap out of him (two if I'm lucky). So for that reason I always make sure I'm home for 3pm so I can put him down for a proper nap.
My big issue is the 4/5am wake up time. Usually he just lies there chatting to and wrestling with his comforter, but nevertheless it wakes me up too over the monitor! I've tried leaving him to fall back asleep himself but he rarely does, so the only success I've had is from going in and giving him his dummy, at which point he immediately puts his comforter up to his face and his head to the side which I know means he's still tired.
He has his dummy for most day time naps. Sometimes it drops out his mouth and he stays asleep for the whole 2hours, other times at the 30 minute mark I have to go and put his dummy back in because he wakes crying.
He never ever has his dummy at bedtime, just falls asleep without it and doesn't make a fuss.

Can anyone advise me on what I can do about this early waking? Tried a later bedtime, he woke exactly the same time. Tried blackout curtains, no change. I'm at a loss! And I'm shattered! Lol

Thanks in advance xx

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: Early waking really starting to get me down
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 08:50:25 am »
At 5.5 months, A times would usually be more like 2:30-2:45, so that EW and long happy NW in the early hours of the morning is likely related to that first nap being way too early.

He's so interested in his surroundings when we're out and about that I can only get a catnap out of him (two if I'm lucky).
I thought those were just because the A times are so short and by the afternoon, he's tired enough for a decent nap again.

Offline Peps1234

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 09:20:21 am »
Thanks for your reply. I've tried really hard to keep him awake past 8am but he ends up having a meltdown on me, any suggestions?

Offline becj86

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 10:11:37 am »
Is it at that time or when you put him down for the nap? How much longer did you go for? You may be best off breaking the habit of 1.5hr A time gently by increasing by 5min a day for 4-5 days then taking bigger jumps.

Offline Peps1234

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 12:45:27 pm »
He has the meltdown around 8am if I haven't put him down for a nap. He always falls asleep straight away when I put him down. I think because he's spending an hour or so awake at 4/5am, he is too tired to last any longer than 8am. I'll try increasing it very slowly and see where I get to.

Offline becj86

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 20:59:04 pm »
Yeah, that's probably why, but its also why it perpetuates and the NW will get longer, so best to push that A time gently.

Offline Peps1234

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2015, 07:07:16 am »
Thank you for your help.