Author Topic: 1-year old - Am I doing it right?  (Read 956 times)

Offline oconee

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 10, 2015, 11:30:45 am »
Hi,
I've been trying the Pu/Pd method with my 1-year old for two days now. His problem are night wakings and that he always needs the breast to fall sleep both during naptimes and wakenings during naps and also at nighttime.
To start with I breastfeed him until I see he starts to relax, then start the pu/pd method. I put him down, he cries, pick him up, try to relax him and put him down again... Yesterday it took me about 15 times and he finally fell sleep.
The thing is that when he is so tired I am not sure if he falls sleep on his own on the crib or he falls asleep in my arms when I hold him. Also, at night time after his first wakening I put him in my bed (we are cosleeping). Would this affect the results of the pu/pd method?

I know I should have read the chapter first, I meant to for a long time, but I am so busy, tired and stressed that I am not able to sit for 10 minutes and grab the book.

I would really appreciate any comments or feedback to see if I'm doing things right.
Thank you.

Offline weaver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 11:44:29 am »
Hello and welcome to BW,
first off, I'm going to move this over to sleeping for toddlers, as your LO is one year old :)

Secondly, I just want to clarify what you're trying to achieve? You say you're feeding him mostly of the way to sleep and then also co-sleeping, so what's the goal?  For him to nap in his cot? It does sound like you were doing well.

And I want to add that at this age these babies are getting heavy! So I think most people in fact don't lift them up out of the cot.  If LO stands up, encourage him to get back down himself (since he can and it's best he learns to do it himself), you can do this by patting the mattress and talking to him ('time to lie down', 'time for sleep honey' whatever).  And then sit with him, rub his back, hold his hand whatever helps him to relax and be comfortable, and drift off.

This might be useful if you've time for a quick read:
How to PU/PD (inc age adaptations)

And this more generally
Pick Up/Put Down (PU/PD) - Everything you ever needed to know!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 11:48:33 am by weaver »
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline oconee

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 06:48:51 am »
Thanks a lot for answering.
The main issue is that he wakes a lot. And when he wakes up he needs the breast to fall sleep again. I would like to change that and break this breast-sleep association. I believe that if he were able to fall sleep on his own and in his bed, he might repeat that in the middle of the night when he wakes up. I would also like to gradually move him to his own room (as this might reduce the awakenings).
I have been trying the PU/PD method for 4/5 days now and really seen improvements. I am able to put him down in bed and maybe after 2 or 3 pick ups he is able to relax and fall sleep. The problem is that  I'm too tired to do this every time he wakes up in the middle of the night so I just put him into my bed and breastfeed him. Should I stick to the routine every single time he wakes up? I guess so, right?

Offline weaver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 19:13:51 pm »
I have been trying the PU/PD method for 4/5 days now and really seen improvements. I am able to put him down in bed and maybe after 2 or 3 pick ups he is able to relax and fall sleep.
Great that your seeing improvements!  That's really great :)

If it were me, I would do it all in one go and get it done, rather than prolonging it for both of you. I would move him into his room and expect him to sleep there. I would stop feeding him at night, stop feeding him to sleep during the day.  I would expect to have to soothe him and comfort him at night, but I would resolve not to feed him (easier said than done, I know!). I generally did not feed my LOs at night at this age but there were a handful of occasions, when ill or teething, when nothing else was the right choice, and then it certainly was the right thing for everyone concerned :)

I would plan ahead.  Start this at the weekend or when there will be someone around so you can have a nap during the day.  I would make provision for myself to be comfortable while soothing him.  I have spent more than a few nights :P lying on the floor in my LOs rooms with a pillow and a blanket, when they were sick or whatever.  You could even bring a mattress in there and make yourself a bed.

One question - will he go back down at night for someone else who isn't feeding him?  That might make it easier on him and you. Or at the least it would be a way of giving you a break for a night or two.

Another big question - what is his routine like? there could be a routine fix which will make this whole thing easier.  could there be any medical reason for his frequent waking? Has he ever had a reflux diagnosis?
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.