Author Topic: Solids and milk - when is enough and a schedule....HELP!  (Read 1472 times)

Offline Mommyadel

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Solids and milk - when is enough and a schedule....HELP!
« on: June 29, 2015, 18:23:12 pm »
So my little one is 1 On July 18 and she is just switched over to cows milk now .. Her routine is as follows:
Bottle 7-7:30 6oz
Breakfast 9/9:30
Bottle 11 6oz
Lunch 1/1:30
Bottle 3 6oz
Supper 5:30/6
Bottle 7/ 7:30 8oz

I'm wondering how much dairy/ cows milk should she have at this point? Can I count cheese and yogurt as dairy for her daily intake?
The book also states that I should be giving her solids first and then milk afterwards or as a snack. She is on such a good schedule ... She has one nap a day which is about 2/3hrs a day. She sleeps about 11 hrs a day, I'm just worried that I'm going to mess it all up!!

So my question is around her new schedule... Should I switch her bottles with meals and her meals with bottles? So at 7/7;30 should I give her breakfast and then a bottle as a snack at 9/9:30??
Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Solids and milk - when is enough and a schedule....HELP!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 19:34:36 pm »
Guides on milk quantity vary slightly from one source to another and one country to another, in the UK the guidance is roughly half a pint, or 10oz (as a minimum), here's our FAQ
Milk intake - what you can expect between 6 months to 12months +
Yes all dairy solids counts towards her daily intake, cheese, yogurt, milky sauces and puddings.

There are a number of options to drop some of those bottles, it's not necessary to switch to solids first. If you are happy with your routine with milk first then I would continue with that.
If it was me I would leave WU and BT feeds as they are for now (deal with them in 2 - 4 weeks or so) and switch the mid morning and mid afternoon bottles to a solids snack.  Off the snack at the same time she would usually have her bottle and offer a drink of water in an open cup or sippy cup whatever you use. If you fear she will be fussy you could always prepare a smaller bottle just to have as back up.  I'd start with morning for a week then both morning and afternoon.

It is recommended to drop bottles at 1yo, the main reason is to protect teeth. So long as your LO is just drinking her milk in a reasonable time at WU and BT and so long as teeth are brushed between the BT bottle and sleep, there isn't any great risk to tooth development (the risk is when LOs are drinking from a bottle for extended periods through the day which can effect the way the teeth grow).  The choice really is yours. You could drop both those bottles or you could drop one and keep one to maintain one good milk drink per day.

Many people choose to keep the BT bottle but alter the routine to shift the bottle a little earlier and put teeth brushing before BT.  There's no problem with this although I have seen various threads on night time nappies being overfull and leaking so further down the line that might be an issue.

I chose to drop the BT bottle first (at 12 months) because I realised our routine had to change to move teeth brushing so I thought I might as well drop the BT bottle all together.  I did a gradual wean (introduced a pre-bath time supper/solid snack with a sippy cup of milk then gave the BT bottle as usual but reduced the amount over a number of nights), painless, no crying, no disruption to night sleep at all, the wean was complete inside of 2 weeks.
I chose to keep the WU milk as the large milk drink of the day. As my LO was not a huge milk drinker I really needed this one milk feed to stay at a good amount. The switch from a bottle to a straw took longer and was not quite as easy as the BT switch but even so it was painless and complete at 13 months.  My LO had his solids breakfast around an hour later.

The choice really is yours though. I can support you with whichever you choose if you had further questions or just wanted a hand to hold - I know these changes in routine often give us mums some anxiety, I know I was concerned about our routine going off track, but I think LOs tend to handle this stuff much better than we anticipate.

hope this helps

Offline Mommyadel

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 04:33:09 am »
Ok! So I cut out the afternoon bottle at 3pm and upped the solids intake and offered milk in a sippy cup..... I'll be lucky if she eats a few nibbles and maybe.... Maybe an oz of milk ( she use to take 6oz from the bottle). By 5 pm she is demanding to be feed supper.... So I push her off to 5:30... And a 8oz bottle at 7pm. I started this 5 days ago while we were camping and out with friends so she would be more distracted .

.. All was going great until we got home 2 days ago... Now the last two nights she goes to bed easy but stirs a lot and wakes frequently even though she is getting the same day naps as before (2/3hrs) I have ended up feeding her the last 2 times milk and she sleeps til about 7/7:30am the next morning. So I'm not sure why she is waking at night? I offer lots of food during the day but this is new... Even when I go in the room to give her a sookie/ soother she is fine when I pick her up but as soon as I lay her down ( maybe 30sec later) she freaks out as soon as her back touches the bed.... She has never been this way before. Last night I even took her into bed from 11-12:30 because she woke a few times and even in bed she stirred until I had enough and put her in her crib after giving her some water and Tylenol.

She justs cut a tooth next to her front tooth ... But when she cut teeth before she was never like this... To the point where she doesn't want to sleep in her crib... It's weird... Any suggestions? It's almost like a comfort thing... As soon as she gets in my arms she is content.

Offline creations

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 08:26:00 am »
It sounds like a few things happening at once:
- she has discomfort from teething
- there could be a little disturbance to routine from your trip away
- she is about to turn 1yo. Birthdays and half birthdays are ripe times for sleep to go off track
- all of the above can lead to some SA (separation anxiety) where she finds comfort from you being with her, this is totally normal

I suspect this is not due to having switched 1 bottle feed to the snack, but rather than things above, however if you are uncomfortable with it you could always revert back to the bottle for that 3pm feed for now and do the switch in say 2-4 weeks.  Solids are (very soon) her primary source of nutrition so you do want a couple of good solids meals in the day but waiting a couple of weeks is unlikely to be a problem.  You should do what you feel is right for you and your toddler :)
I would say at almost 1yo it is highly unlikely she is needing food after BT. She might find the milk a comfort but she'll likely find comfort in you soothing her without the milk. This period of SA will pass when her difficulties with teeth/birthday developments pass.

WRT her evening meal. I would probably bring it earlier. Most LOs eat better earlier anyway and if she is showing she is very hungry at 5pm I'd move dinner to that time if it was me. Many LOs like their evening meal even earlier, 4.15 or 4.30, and it is also common to eat more in the earlier hours, morning and early afternoon, rather than evening.

Offline Mommyadel

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 12:49:21 pm »
So it was teething pain causing the night wakings... She just cut a tooth which explains a lot! No more nw as of last night and still no bottle at 3pm. She is taking a little but more milk from the sippy cup... I add a bit of water to the milk to water it down and have been gradually adding more milk. I also give her supper around 5 now and if we eat at 6 or later I offer her food then again too. Her bottle at 7pm and then bed around 7/7:30 depending on when she wakes.

Also I gave her solids before nap at 11 yesterday... Normally she won't take anything except a bottle because she is tired and wants a nap... But yesterday she ate and then had a bottle before bed and slept 2:30hrs so I'm hoping I can keep the trend going :)

Thanks for the info and support all is going well!

Offline creations

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2015, 18:02:46 pm »
Looks like your happy with how things are going.
As your LO is now 1 yo (belated Happy Birthday to her!), you can post on eating for toddlers :)
Eating For Toddlers

Of course if you have any questions you like to add here that's fine!
:)