Author Topic: Do I have a prop???  (Read 3668 times)

Offline cath~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
Re: Do I have a prop???
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2015, 10:59:45 am »
It doesn't sound like the evening bf is a problem at the moment then since she's not needing it to resettle during the night. IIWY I'd just keep working gently on putting her down more and more awake , as you're doing.

Perhaps you could do the bf slightly earlier so she's less sleepy , and then at some point introduce a BT story between the bf and putting her down?

Similarly with naps , it doesn't sound like you being with her while she nods off ATM is a problem. You could work on GW so you gradually move further and further away from her as she nods off if you wanted to.
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline First mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2015, 08:12:28 am »
Hi Cath, its like all or nothing  :-[ am feeling very confused and helpless.  This is the 2nd time this week that she has been sleepy (eyes closed) when finishing feeding, I pop her off she snuggles in and all seems to be going well but as soon as I put her up on my shoulder we have an absolute battle.  Tonight I popped her off at 6:40 and once on my shoulder she was so angry with me, she kept pushing my chest and crying so intensly arching her back.  She eventually calmed and snuggled I gave her a long cuddle and told her sleepy time and I popped her in the cot and then the battles start again.  She will not lie down or stop crying.  She is quiet for a couple of seconds and then it starts all over again.  This happened 4 nights ago and I ended up rocking her to sleep.  I feel like I have no idea where to start.  Up until 3 months ago she would go to bed and naps happily awake and settle to sleep, every night is different and there is no real pattern.  I am on tenderhooks with the whole evening feed as I have no idea if she is going to go down well or we are going to have a battle.  Tonight an hour later and she is asleep, hubby rocked her  :(

I am tired, I'm getting about 4-5 hours sleep a night because I have an awful cough and to be honest I don't think I am coping very well with not understanding what's going on or how I can make it easier for my LO. 

I have no idea what to do

Offline cath~

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2015, 11:41:46 am »
((hugs)) sounds really rough

what's her routine been like for the last few days?  Could you post what her days look like and if there have been any changes?  Is she napping ok?  could she be UT or OT at BT?

Could she be teething again?  Or is she in a wonder week?

all these things could make settling harder for her
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline First mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2015, 19:55:41 pm »
Morning Cath, no real changes. Eating like a horse again so maybe a gs and lumpy gums??  Last couple of days...

Friday
A 6:15 up at 6:30
N 11:35 for 1.5 hrs
BF 6:15 massive battle when I popped her on my shoulder.  Offered both sides again and rocked her to sleep, took just over an hour.
Asleep 7:40
STTN

Sat
A 5:15 up at 6 bit grizzly but don't think she went back to sleep
CN 8 for 15 mins
N 11:45 for 2h55mins
BF 6:40
Asleep 7
Awake 9-11:15 pain med, gel and cuddles given. Fell asleep lying beside me on a mattress on the floor

Sun
A 6.15 up at 6:30
CN 9 for 15  mins
N 11:40 for 2h45min
BF 6:30
Asleep 6:50
STTN

Mon
A 6:15 up 6:20 I heard her at 5 but went back to sleep
CN 9 for 15 mins
N 12 for 2h 15 mins
BF 6:20 massive battle when I popped her on my shoulder.  Told her boobies were finished, got her calm into the cot.  Battles began again took an hour. Hubby rocked to sleep.
Asleep 7:45
STTN

I think I may have muddled a few days and times but this gives you an idea.  Livy has a cn usually the 4 days following daycare.  Today is the 5th and she doesn't usually have one.  Both daycare days are really rubbish for sleep, last week she had 25 minutes one day and 35 the next.  With her daytime nap it takes me about 5-10 minutes to get her to sleep, rubbing her back or sitting beside the cot, she is calm and relaxed.  I am going to try and reduce the rubbing over the next week.  This is where I would like to get with night time, but I don't know where to start.  Once we are here and calm then I think we can work towards leaving the room like we use to.

Really appreciate your help Cath

Offline cath~

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2015, 08:53:21 am »
With her daytime nap it takes me about 5-10 minutes to get her to sleep, rubbing her back or sitting beside the cot, she is calm and relaxed.  I am going to try and reduce the rubbing over the next week.
yes, that sounds sensible

Since she's not "battling" sleep at nap time, I wonder if she's a touch UT at BT hence the battles?  Does she seem tired before you BF her?  What about trying BT/BF 15 mins later than you are at the moment and see if that helps at all?
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline First mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2015, 00:55:51 am »
Hi cath, 5 days now of trying to reduce my intervention at nap time and I am no further ahead.  She becomes so worked up so quickly if I remove my hand, to the point of hiccups!  Any suggestions?

She's pooped  :P I have put those couple of night battles down to her not being finished and me breaking the latch.  I am paying more attention now to her suck and swallow rather than the clock and we seem to be doing better.  We had one night where she broke the latch herself, she started to wind up but I said her name and told her it was sleepy time now and she actually listened to me  :o she lay down and 5 or so minutes later I left.  Progress?!?

Offline cath~

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2015, 08:54:52 am »
I am paying more attention now to her suck and swallow rather than the clock and we seem to be doing better.  We had one night where she broke the latch herself, she started to wind up but I said her name and told her it was sleepy time now and she actually listened to me  :o she lay down and 5 or so minutes later I left.  Progress?!?
yes, this does sound like progress - well done!

5 days now of trying to reduce my intervention at nap time and I am no further ahead.  She becomes so worked up so quickly if I remove my hand, to the point of hiccups!  Any suggestions
maybe take it more gradually. eg rather than you whole hand, gradually start reducing the number of fingers on her when you settle her, or the amount of pressure on her, until you can settle her with just you palm, then perhaps just have your hand hovering over her with no contact, and gradually move your hand further away... dyswim?
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old