Author Topic: 7mo 9hour nights, 13hours total: can I extend this?  (Read 5907 times)

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
Re: 7mo 9hour nights, 13hours total: can I extend this?
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2015, 18:44:52 pm »
So baby A managed that A time on such a short nap? That's amazing.

Ok, yep that CN probably definitely has to go now I suppose. Especially if they're both staying up so long at BT.

I would try as hard as you can to keep him awake whilst feeding. I know it's tough. Perhaps, yes, bring it earlier too and see if both make a difference. Falling that, if he does start to nod off towards the end, keep him up a tad longer by doing something low-key like a nappy change or something.

I can't imagine baby A is OT even with that silly 30mims nap that is sometimes indicative of an OT nap? Especially as he can then do 4hrs A after a short nap and that produces a long nap?!

I'm thinking if we just stretch both those A's a little more, that should get you near to a 12-hr day. It's just so difficult during these transitions. Especially when you have 2 grumpy bubbas on your hands, I would've put them to bed too!!

So how about trying closer to 3hrs A (pd for nap) as that's when they're ready to sleep anyway? It's showing that a change of scenery is giving them the second wind and then they're just playing around which is just so frustrating for you.

If the naps are crappy tomorrow and they really are grumpy, you could do a quick 15mins CN, but tbh you're so close to just getting them down to two naps. And I think it'll be much nicer for you if they actually went to sleep closer to 6.30pm than 9.30pm.

I know a 6pm ish BT seems early, but it might be worth a go considering they were ready to sleep at CN time yk? I know the idea of a possible 5am wu seems horrendous, but some LO's do tack on the sleep and sleep 12-hr nights during transitions. It's only once it stabilises that they start to be able to push out the A times a little more and BT can then be a bit later. Wdyt? Worth a go for a day or two? Xx

Offline Anders45

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2015, 04:39:05 am »
 Today went much better!

WU 6
EA
S 8.45 - we went in a walk and they fell asleep in the last two minutes. :) I need to plan my walks better
WU 10.20
EAEA
S 1.30
W 3.00
EAEAE
BT 7.00 (fell asleep around 7.30) DF at 9.30 and we are crossing our fingers until tomorrow.

They were pretty grumpy just before that first nap. And they were nodding off in the living room while we were feeding them at 6.30 then as soon as we put them in the crib, they were wide awake and rolling around. I just let them wiggle their way to sleep. And they were out by 7.30. Much better than 9.30!

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2015, 06:18:29 am »
Yay and yay!! Amazing!  ;D hope the night goes/went well xx

Offline Anders45

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2015, 16:22:20 pm »
It did go fairly well. The boys had a NW at 2.00. I gave them their binkies and that didn't work, so I had hubby change their diapers (not sure what I was thinking there because they weren't dirty...). But they went back to sleep after ten minutes or so and slept in until 7.30! At 10 I fed baby b, changed his bum and put him in the crib and he was asleep before baby a started nursing. Cross our fingers that the rest of the day is just as smoothe.

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2015, 18:41:18 pm »
I've done that before too. DH does it as well if DD wakes up and doesn't resettle easily. Don't know why but it usually works.

Yay to the lie in though, bet that felt good xx

Offline Anders45

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2015, 22:08:06 pm »
Yay indeed. We went to my MIL house this weekend and that usually entails poor sleeping. So we took off just after feeding the boys at 4.30 and drove 2.5 hours, and they were awake the whole time (baby a's first teeth just cut through!). Any who, we went straight to putting them to bed and they fought off sleep until about 8.40.

They have also been taking later naps (so lasting 3.5 hours between naps). Which lands us starting our second nap at 3.00 and them waking up at 4.30-5.00 ish. This would be fine, but then they stay up until about 8.30 instead of 7.00... Then wake up at 6.00 which brings us back to the 9 ish hours at night. Does this seem normal?

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2015, 18:41:53 pm »
Yes and no really I suppose. Those are short nights, but how long are the naps now hun?

Great to see teething was definitely the culprit before, just like you said. Do they still have their DF? I'm wondering if they're waking from hunger in the morning? Also the teething could be at play as that's a prime reason for EW.

Be interested to see your easy now the A times have lengthened, if you've got chance to post the last coupe, of days? Xx

Offline Anders45

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2015, 04:31:55 am »
They've been taking two 1.5 hour naps. We are starting to cut out DF. We just cut back from 9.30 to 9.15. I could try a little harder to have them eat more during the day. I usually just make them eat until they lose focus, but I could see if they'll eat more at each feeding and be extra vigilant about feeding them the fifteen minutes before they take their nap.

Today was glorious (although they woke up at least six times last night and didn't fall asleep until about 11 (we traveled home from MIL and I think that got them worked up a little, I'll try to time it better next time).

This is my easy from today though (the last couple of days have been like this too, maybe varied by half hour or so)
WU 6.30 (did feed them at 4.00)
EA
S 9.20
WU 11.00
EAEA
S 2.00
WU 3.30
EAE
BT 7.00
S 7.30
DF 9.15

Their days are going really well. They are lasting longer between naps and we have got/are getting a good rhythm to our days.

Offline Anders45

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2015, 05:49:11 am »
In case I didn't say it, thank you so much for your help!

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2015, 08:21:36 am »
It's really strange hun, I don't think I saw your last post, I'm so sorry!  :(

How's it going now? Are the nights better? I'm so glad you're feeling that the days are a bit more predicable, it does help doesn't it? Xx

Offline Anders45

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2015, 16:53:29 pm »
They have been sleeping better at night. :) Baby B has recently been waking up recently around 4 with a poopy diapers. Is this something that I can adjust? I'm not sure that I can. Also, the boys have a hard time staying awake for three hours still. I do it by constantly changing scenery after two hours. I was under the impression that they would get used to staying awake for three hours in time... and it has been about a month now, right? Besides that, I think that they are doing really well.

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2015, 11:06:18 am »
Unfortunately I don't think there's anything you can do wrt the poopy nappy. Especially as baby A and B are eating around the same time and baby A doesn't do it? I'm sure that'll just change on it's own soon.

It is hard work keeping them entertained isn't it? I too have to do a constant change of scenery even now  ::). I'm sure once they're my DD's age they'll entertain each other a little more, so there is hope  ;).

I'm so glad they're sleeping better at night for you now hun. It really does help doesn't it xx