Author Topic: nw from previous good sleeper  (Read 1550 times)

Offline sunflower321

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: July 16, 2015, 04:07:32 am »
My dd2 will be 7 months in a week. She has been sleeping all night since 2 months. She's a bad napper but a good night sleeper. Well she was. She has started to wake at about 4am for a feed. Only on 3 occasions so far but I'm afraid of it becoming habit. She has been on solids about 3 weeks. She takes 3 "meals" a day but doesn't take much breakfast or dinner. She feeds well at tea time though as that's usually a sweet meal. She has never been a great milk drinker either bm or formula. Same as dd1. but lately she has increased her formula intake but still only drinks 5oz at a time. I have always dream fed at 10.30. I tried dropping it but she woke at night so I reintroduced it and she went back to sleeping 7-7. Lately I have increased it to 5oz. But she's still started waking every few nights for a night feed. Should I increase the dream feed? I know she should really be dropping it but I was thinking til she's better established on solids?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 04:29:11 am by sunflower321 »

Offline sunflower321

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 04:27:03 am »
I know you're going to want to see my easy but I'm afraid to because I know the naps look mad but she won't sleep for longer than 40 mins during the day unless I get into bed wit her. And with a 2 year old this can't always happen. She's always only catnapped but as she slept the night it wasn't a problem. Right our day is
7/7:30    wu 5oz bottle
8.30        cereal made with formula only has a few small spoons
10           40 min nap
11.15      5 oz bottle
12.15      lunch. protein meal. Meat potato veg. Only a few small spoons
1              Nap. Very tired coming up to this time. If dd1 naps I'll get into bed with her and she'll sleep until 3 then bottle but if dd1 doesn't nap she'll sleep for 40 mins then bottle at 2 and back to bed at 3 for 40 mins
5              nap 40 mins
5.45         some formula followed by tea. Eats a lot but it's a fruity meal so maybe not filling enough?
7               finishes 5oz bottle that she started before tea
7.30          asleep
10.30        dream feed used to only take 3oz. But lately 5oz. I don't know if I should offer more?

By the way all other bottles I usually offer 6oz but she doesn't finish them
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 04:32:45 am by sunflower321 »

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: nw from previous good sleeper
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 08:31:26 am »
I reckon that could be the beginning of a UT/OT loop... That first nap is so early its likely causing those EWs. If you can push that later, it could well help both with the EWs and the nap length though I guess maybe you're trying to have a short one there so both LO's sleep at the same time in the middle of the day.

Offline sunflower321

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 07:05:58 am »
Really? You think 3 hours a time is very little? I didn't think so at 6 months. I'm sure dd1 needed a nap at 10 or 10.30 til she was over a year! I'm actually pushing her til 10 because she'd go before that. But I'll see if I can push her later.
The 2 of them nappingat the same time doesn't really matter to me because dd1 refuses nap a few days a week now. I'm not trying to have a short one. She just has never slept more than one sleep cycle. I think it's because I haven't really had the time to help her transition and the poor thing has to sleep out on the go much more than dd1 ever did.
I'm actually wondering if it's teeth that's waking her at night. She has none yet. But when she wakes she doesn't cry or appear in pain. I put her to sleep last nite at 7 and she woke crying at 8 so much that I brought her downstairs til 9. That could have been ot or teeth. She slept ok after that

Offline becj86

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 09:13:24 am »
Sorry, I'm looking at 7:30-10 and the fact the nap is always 40min.  At nearly 7 months, you should only need to increase a little more than the 3hr. Either that or a prop but given she sleeps ok at night, I think its possible she could sleep longer at that nap.

Her milk intake - I think I recall the recommendations are around 20oz/day til 1yo but you're quite probably more up to date with that than I. I'd keep that DF unless you can get another feed into the day. You know your LO better than I though.

It could well be teeth or even just hunger at that 4am waking. What's her behaviour like at those wakings? How long does it take to get her back to sleep? Have you tracked what she's eating in the day vs when she's waking? I wonder if she's reacting to the solids/constipated/having difficulty digesting? Its pretty quick to be on 3 solids meals 3 weeks after starting solids.

I put her to sleep last nite at 7 and she woke crying at 8 so much that I brought her downstairs til 9.
Sounds like OT, yeah.

Offline sunflower321

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 22:20:41 pm »
Sorry I left out a bottle in her daily routine. She has about 4/5 oz at 3.30pm too.
At night she has always shouted out a couple times a night. She sleeps in my room so I just lean over, pop in the soother and she falls straight back to sleep. Until this week. The night before last she woke up happy as Larry at 3.45am laughing when she saw me. When I put in her soother she half fell back to sleep but kept shouting every ten mins and getting more awake until about 45 mins later she started crying. And I knew it was hunger. I gave her 4 oz and she fell immediately back to sleep until 6.10 then was restless until 7.30.
Last night she was fully awake from 8-9pm, shouted at 12.30 but immediately fell back asleep then slept until 6.30. So a better night.
I know solids really shouldn't be an issue at this age but I just suspect that could be the problem. Today she ate quite well. I should have mentioned in my post that when I say 5oz bottles that would be the max. She often only has 4 and won't drink a drop more.
Today I consider good. She had mainly 4oz bottles and one 5oz. She ate all of her 3 meals. Would have eaten more lunch and tea! I never know what to do in a case like that as I'm aware she's only starting out and don't want to overdo it.
I'll see how she goes tonight to see if it is food. Although it's 11 and she's already woken twice for her soother so maybe I'm wrong! But I don't worry too much about soother cries in the early part of the evening.
I actually pushed her a time this morn to 4 hours. Not intentionally but we went out walking at her nap time and she was exhausted so I thought she'd fall straight to sleep. But it took her almost an hour. Her nap length was still 40 mins! Is it strange that she can't nap more than 40 mins but can sleep 12 hours straight at night (til this week)?
By the way thanks for taking the time to reply and offer help. I appreciate it. Sometimes it just helps to have someone listen

Offline becj86

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2015, 04:07:53 am »
I guess given you're right there all night, its quite possibly a prop. She's not sleeping a solid 12hr night if she's waking and shouting for a dummy regularly through the night, yk?

You say she's never slept longer than 40min for a nap? How was she after she woke from her 40min nap after 4hr A time?

I gather she's not an independent sleeper - going to sleep on her own?

Its actually normal to still have a DF and an NF at this age, so unless its an issue for you, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Sorry to ask so many questions, just trying to wrap my head around it so I can think of what's happening - I think she must be OT on some level but she's been having good night, you say, up until recently so maybe not...

Offline sunflower321

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2015, 05:54:21 am »
Oh she's very much an IS. Has been since 2 months. Just placed into cot with soother and she goes off to sleep on her own within 10 mins.
Naps have been a problem since she was tiny. Dd1 was the opposite. Slept round the clock even at 6 months! But this one doesn't have the hang of it at all! Actually she was fine after the 4 hr a time. The same as usual.
Last night I gaveher df and she slept without waking until 6.15 when she started to get restless and woke properly for a feed at 6.40. Earlier than she used to but still a fairly good night.
The df isn't an issue for me but as she hasn't had a nf since 7 weeks, I don't really want to start now! Like I say it has only been 3 times so far I just don't want it to become habit now.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 06:04:53 am by sunflower321 »

Offline becj86

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2015, 07:51:45 am »
I think given its not a few days in a row, its unlikely to become habit.